Convert NG to LP?

John B

TVWBB Pro
I have a few NG Webers I picked up while bargain hunting this summer, but I want to covert them to propane. What is required to do this? I will post pics of them soon. I am picking one of them up tomorrow for $1.

dude I saw that grill on ksl tonight. I was going to shoot you a text but figured you had already seen the $1 grill. Nice pick up, you going to store that grill at your in-laws?

I have heard that Weber no longer sells the conversion kits and will require the serial number of your grill before they will ship the replacement parts.

The parts would include a hose and regulator (which may be readily available as a normal replacement part) and a manifold with orifices. The orifices which meter the gas need to be different sizes for propane vs. natural gas. I'm not aware of any supplier of just the orifice and they might be specific for the equipment itself. The last time I bought a kitchen stove, it included a set of orifices to convert to propane use. I doubt that the burners themselves differ between propane and natural gas.

If you can find someone with the same stove in a propane version, you might be able to order the parts from Weber using their serial number.

Or find a similar model grill which uses propane and cannibalize the necessary parts.

Or sell the grill to someone who wants a natural gas grill.

I just ignore listings for natural gas grills.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek B:
dude I saw that grill on ksl tonight. I was going to shoot you a text but figured you had already seen the $1 grill. Nice pick up, you going to store that grill at your in-laws? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, just got it. I forgot my wallet too, so it ended up being free. I want to fix mine up, and this one too. Then take it to Terrys, or moms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank B:
I have heard that Weber no longer sells the conversion kits and will require the serial number of your grill before they will ship the replacement parts.

The parts would include a hose and regulator (which may be readily available as a normal replacement part) and a manifold with orifices. The orifices which meter the gas need to be different sizes for propane vs. natural gas. I'm not aware of any supplier of just the orifice and they might be specific for the equipment itself. The last time I bought a kitchen stove, it included a set of orifices to convert to propane use. I doubt that the burners themselves differ between propane and natural gas.

If you can find someone with the same stove in a propane version, you might be able to order the parts from Weber using their serial number.

Or find a similar model grill which uses propane and cannibalize the necessary parts.

Or sell the grill to someone who wants a natural gas grill.

I just ignore listings for natural gas grills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply. I called weber on the way there and they told me they wouldn't sell me any parts to convert it. I also have a propane version of the same grill, and so does my brother (Derek, posted above). So I might call them back with my own serial number to see if they will let me order parts for that one. The grill is in good shape, so I figure since it was free, replacement parts won't make it a bad deal. I just hope I can get what I need. So you think the burners are the same? I may replace them anyway depending on what they cost.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John B:
... I also have a propane version of the same grill, ... I just hope I can get what I need. So you think the burners are the same? I may replace them anyway depending on what they cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If I were in that situation, I'd take the manifold off and take it to my local appliance parts store and/or propane equipment store and ask if they have propane jets to fit the manifold. It's kind of a long shot, but it seems unlikely that Weber would manufacture their own gas jets rather than buy one from someone who specializes in that. Disclaimer: I used to work as a combustion engineer at an integrated steel mill so I have more knowledge of burner systems than most. Most of these were a little bigger than what's found in a Weber grill. If you feel like this is getting into uncharted territory and you're not comfortable that you know enough about working with combustible (potentially explosive) gasses, then best to buy the complete assembly from Weber. That said... I've removed the manifold from both of my gassers in order to clean them up and the process seems pretty straight forward. It's hard to imagine why Weber discontinued their conversion kits unless they heard that folks were using them to cook meth or something like that.

As far as the burners go, look them up at the Weber site. I looked up a few and there was never a need to specify propane vs. natural gas when selecting them. The description typically reads something like:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kit fits Spirit® 700, Genesis® Silver B & C, and Genesis® Gold (2002-2004 model years) gas grills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply Hank. I tried to get the serial number off of my own weber, but the sticker is faded and I cant get a visual on what it is. I may just give Weber a call explaining such, or I will wait until Derek B is awake (he works a swing shift) to get the serial number off of his. Here is my LP Weber that I have had for a few years now:

438fd8be.jpg

And here are a few pics of the freebie I picked up today, and the subject of this post:

5d1a9b71.jpg

1ea66a12.jpg

Your freebie looks like my freebie except that mine came with stainless grate and flavorizers and a propane tank. Mine is an '01 according to the date code in the serial number. I also have a very similar 2 burner model that's an '00. I've upgraded that one to stainless flavorizers and had a pretty nice cast iron grate for it. Grills of that age seem to clean up pretty nice and perform well. Here's my pair.

P1010273-PP.JPG

Ah yes, I remember seeing your post a while back about your new grills. I remember the tractor in the back because my son goes crazy for them.

I am going to give Weber a call and ask for a new hose, regulator, and a manifold with orifices (hopefully I will pass their screening with a serial number from my red LP grill). So that is all that is needed to convert this on my own? I will probably order burners at the same time. Thanks for the help Hank.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank B:

The parts would include a hose and regulator (which may be readily available as a normal replacement part) and a manifold with orifices. The orifices which meter the gas need to be different sizes for propane vs. natural gas. I'm not aware of any supplier of just the orifice and they might be specific for the equipment itself. The last time I bought a kitchen stove, it included a set of orifices to convert to propane use. I doubt that the burners themselves differ between propane and natural gas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before I bought my LP Summit, I had wondered about a future NG conversion as well. I did find a online site who sells the weber parts "al la carte" so the serial number issue should not be a problem. I specifically remember seeing both the NG and LP manifolds as being available.

They had a NG manifold for my 2008 Summit S-670. Here is their main Weber page:

Main Weber parts page - select your model by number or name

For my 2008 model, it was part #15 in the exploded diagram and only costs $139 for the manifold assembly. I'm sure some of the other parts are also needed as it was not a "kit", but the individual part.

Ya Weber doesn't sell 'conversion kits'. To do it right, in general, you might be able to find a dealer who can get you the gas distribution manifold, valve and orifice assembly as noted above then connect the correct hose.

For DIY lookup the burner BTU, then either try to find correct orifices as noted above or buy blanks and drill out yourself. LP pressure is 11" water column so lookup the drill bit size for that btu value for LP at that pressure.

I might pull the trigger on a NG Weber that I found on Craigslist that I want to convert to propane. If the parts are compatible maybe we can swap parts.

Hi, I'd like to bump this thread up and pass on my "conversion" story. I'm not suggesting anyone to jump in and do it as there are dangers as mentioned by many. I wanted a "Weber " but am on a limited budget . I know Weber quality and endurance and I'm tired of replacing grills every 2-3 years. After long searching I found an S-310 NG grill for a little more than 300 dollars and about three years old. Pictures showed it was taken care of quite well. I made the plunge KNOWING I had to convert the fuel supply to LPG . There are lots of postings about conversions, all with the same message,,,it's dangerous ,should be done by experts and it's not cheap. Conversion normally involves exchanging the entire manifold assembly (with control valves and orfices) so to be compatable with the LPG. Other changes are needed such as regulators ,fittings and hoses.
One internet site I visited showed how to make a Pressure Guage Assembly for determining W.C. pressure ,that was a great guide. It also had suggested a new regulator by catalog number to use.
I followed the advise but had issues ,,, I kept the 10 foot NG hose , kept the quick disconnect fittings and used my new regulator. I fired up the grill and found the flame was Yellow no blue color and very high even at a low control setting. I determined that the orfice holes were too large in diameter. To tacle this problem I exchanged the orfices from my old grill (not a Weber) and installed them into the S-310. Both grills are 36,000 btu grills. Job done, beautyful blue flame with tiny yellow tips ,good regulation , and a great feeling of accomplishment. I would pass on ,,work smart and use caution. If you do a conversion on any grill change the identification label so future owners/users know the grill has been converted.
Happy grillin

CLIFF

To convert from NG to LPG all you really need to do is get a new reg and hose assembly and change the orifice size, LPG orifice would be smaller. Orifices go by a bit size so if you determine the proper size you can place a bit in the orifice and then fill in the gap with silver solder or carefully use a ball peen hammer and tap the orifice smaller and then drill it out to the proper size. Keep in mind that in most areas I know of it is illegal to convert an appliance without using the Manufacturers approved kit and having a licensed person do the conversion or your insurance company can void any claims you make if you accidentally burn down your house.

"To convert from NG to LPG all you really need to do is get a new reg and hose assembly and change the orifice size"

that will "work" but not be fully compatible. On the Webers the valves themselves are slightly different. The medium and low openings in the valve on propane are smaller also to reflect the higher pressure. So i.e. if you go LP to NG the med and low settings will be too low and in the case of low may not stay lit. Conversely the med/low settings will be just a little "too hot". Not unsafe I have used them like that but it IS different

Back