Weber Genesis Silver B - Clean up and a Propane Connector Question

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
Before it got too hot today, I took some time to do a little touch up painting on the end caps of my Weber Genesis Silver B REDHEAD and clean up the hood of the grill.

Pics are here:

She's ready for the rest of the summer!

NOW HERE'S THE QUESTION:

I picked up a side burner a while back and want to replace the left side table with the side burner - its a drop in fit. The PROBLEM is that the side burner has this connector -

which I assume will connect to a regulator which will in turn attach to the propane tank.

The question is - what connector or adapter or connector do I need to make that happen? Or should I just take the whole thing to my local LP dealer and ask them to do it?

Many thanks!

Pat

You might want to call Weber and see what they say. I can't recall seeing anything in mine where that would connect, at least not compared to how it worked when we built my dad's Summit. I believe that runs underneath to the manifold below the handles.

Thanks Jon. In looking at some old schematics on the Weber site, it appears that is a quick connect adapter that connected into a female receptacle on the burner manifold.

I suspect I will have to take the whole thing to Alabama Gas Light and Grill and see if they can replace the quick connect with a standard regulator and tank connection.

I'm not trying to connect this burner into the tank the grill burners is connected to (with a T-Type connector - although if they can rig that up for me, that'll work) but rather, will hang another tank on that side of the grill.

Thanks for the response! I was starting to feel lonely out here. Usually this is a very vocal group - can't believe I stumped 'em!

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Before it got too hot today, I took some time to do a little touch up painting on the end caps of my Weber Genesis Silver B REDHEAD and clean up the hood of the grill.
How bad was the chipping and what did you use to touch up? Has it gone through some heat cycles and do you know it will stay? About the only thing on the outside of my Silver A that keeps it from looking new is some pant flaking/chipping off the ends.

DSC_3840-PP.JPG

Your local Gas Company may be able to modify the manifold, to add a connector for that side burner. If the material is thick enough, maybe they can drill & tap it to add the fitting. Otherwise, maybe add a rivnut & Silver Solder it to prevent leakage and provide a greater threaded length for the required fitting?

May be worth a look if you can remove the manifold easily & take it there.

Walter,
I use painter's tape and tape off the enamel lid enough so that there won't be any overspray on the painted enamel. Buy a spray can of flat black high heat paint from Home Depot to paint those ends where you have the chipping. It will cover up those spots very well and blend in.

I took the burner to Alabama Gas Light & Grill. They are my Kamado Joe dealer and wood chunk supplier. The owner is taking the burner to their gas fitter to see what he may be able to come up with for me. I'll let y'all know!

Thanks!

Pat

Walter - I did pretty much what Jason suggested, except I got a roll of brown paper from Lowes and used it to cover the entire lid, side tables and the control panel, as well as the stainless steel front doors so there wouldn't be any overspray.

I used a sanding wheel on my drill to roughen up the areas to be painted and smooth out the flaking areas, then painted with three coats of the flat black 1200 degree grill paint that is ubiquitous this time of year. That covers the area but is coyote ugly. I then came back with a couple coats of a semi-gloss 1200 degree grill paint that I found somewhere. That left a very pleasing appearance.

I've cooked on the grill twice since then - pre-heating the grill up to about 500 degrees before dropping the temperature back down to cooking temperature.

So far; so good.

Pat

I have an older Weber Genesis model like this one and am looking to extend the propane hose for use on my houseboat. Does anyone know if the connector fitting to the grill is 3/8" flare or some other size? Someone at Lowes told me it might be 5/16" flare...

Back