long cooks

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
I know there has been some of you that may have already touched on this subject, but I had to ask anyway... Has anyone done an overnight cook on the new 22.5" WSM? If so, what were your thoughts and how did it perform? What was your fuel of choice as well for this unit for low and slow cooking.
Thanks in advance

I just completed my 1st cook and an over night cook on my new 22"

1st, I used original Kingsford to remove as many variations as possible for the 1st run. I used 2 15 pound bags total, the 1st bag filled the charcoal ring. Using the 2nd, I filled a chimney about 1/2 way for the initial light unsing the MM. In hindsight, this may have been a tad too much in the chimney, but it did provide even, full coverage for the ring and the temp came up quick and held steady. I then added 6 chuncks of wood. I added the remainder of the second 15lb bag (roughly 10 pounds) the next morining at the 12 hour point (9:30 am) to get to cook to the evening.

I started with a full water pan at about 9:30pm. I checked it at 11:00 and again at 4:00am. This was overkill, since at 4:00 the pan had PLENTY of water and only took roughly a gallon of water to top it off. The pan would easily make it from 11:00 to 8:00am with no attention.

My cooker sealed up pretty well out of the box with minimal tweaking on the door. On initial light-off and assembly, I held an average of 225 at the lower grate and roughtly 235 at the upper easily with all lower vents fully shut. I bumped the bottom vents to 1/8-1/4 open the next morining at roughtly the 12 hour point to maintain the temps.

Overall, the temps held rock-soild and required no babysitting. I was a little surprised at how much charcoal I went thru, but considering the sheer size of the cooker, using a full water pan and this was a 20 hour cook, it is not bad at all in the grand scheme. I was also VERY pleased with how long the water pan ran without filling. This thing is an over-night cooking machine!

Good luck!

Allen

Thanks Allen... I don't use any water at all, so I may get a little longer cook out of doing it dry. I will be using the DIGIQ II if I should decide to "pull the trigger". I guess my main concerns are the amount of fuel I will need for overnight cooks, and I really can't go by your experience due to the fact that you used a water pan and that will keep the temps down, but still use the fuel and much more I am guessing. If I do get this unit, I will more than likely do a turkey first, just to break it in, followed by some ribs before venturing off into the land of pork butts.
Thanks again Allen.

Ed,

Have you heard much about the new DigiQ...the one that runs 2 pits at once? I think it's called the CyberQ.

I have an 18.5" that I faithfully use my DigiQ II with. I have a shiny new 22.5" that shipped from Amazon today. I can't decide whether to get another DigiQ II or consider waiting for the new model.

Lee, I have heard of the new unit by the BBQ Guru, and I don't cook enough to warrant buying that unit at whatever price they come up with. I am still thinking about getting the 22 1/2" model, but can't make up my mind. I just wondered how the DIGIQ II would handle the bigger cooker. I guess the only way I am going to find out is to buy one and see what happens. I just don't want to make a 399.00 mistake.

Ed,
I have seen 2 different posts on here that say the DigiQ II with a 10 cfm fan works fine with the 22.5 inch.

That's the same set-up I use with my 18 inch, but I usually have the damper on the blower only about 1/3 open. I'm thinking it should do just fine with the 22. May just have to open up the fan a little. I definitely plan on trying it with my current DigiQ before I buy a 2nd one. That would be a costly mistake. I'll try to post on here once I have some results.

Back