Spice storage tins - Possible Corrosion?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Quite possible. It's been my experience. Try stainless.
Yep, Salt and Aluminum don't play well with each other. I Do like those Stainless canisters.
icon_cool.gif

I agree stainless is great. However... It's much easier (IMO) to locate small glass containers at a lower price (If that's a concern).
Too bad. Relatively inexpensive, SS containers, all uniform in size. That makes happy!

I wish I'd seen those stainless tins when I was Googling for tins, containers...didn't think to search for "shakers" since I wasn't looking for shakers as such.

Thanks, Kevin! These look great. They are a little wider than the aluminum tins but will just barely fit in the allocated space. I'll order enough for seasonings that contain salt. I only have a few.

This brings up a tip about salt and stainless. When you add salt to water in a stainless pan, stir it to dissolve the salt. If the salt sits on the bottom of the pan it might pit. It happened to me.

Rita

I have a bunch of the aluminum tins...The only one with corrosion is the one filled with kosher salt. I have a bunch set up with different rubs. Some of those have salt in them nad have not corroded at all.

Stainless are cool, but at $6 each, too expensive for me.

Steve, that's good to know. I was planning to order just a few stainless 'tins' for things with salt but I just might dedicate some glass jars for those. I should get a few to have for some items. It amazes me how Kevin comes up with so much pertinent stuff that I can't find when I'm googling the Itnernet!

Here is the answer from Pflazgraf, who distributes the Kammenstein magnetic tins:

"The only information that I have for the Kamenstein storage containers is that they are made of tin. If you would like more information, please call the consumer service department at toll free number listed below and ask for extension 2553. They may be able to give you more information.

"If you need further assistance, please feel free to call Consumer Services at 1-800-999-2811 between 8 am and 9 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday and from 9 am to 5 pm on Saturday."

Sincerely,
Pfaltzgraff Consumer Services

Rita
Hi, If you are storing salt or rubs containing salt I would strongly recommend using glass jars as you stated. The quality of the Stainless Steel used is not the highest and is subject to corrosion the same as mild steel it will last longer than steel but not that long.
I just finished a New Zealand Navy ship project where they used a cheap quality stainless steel in the seawater valves. They corroded and had to be replaced before the ship was even delivered (they were changed to a bronze type).

I have small glass spice jars with silver coloured plastic lids. I keep the bulk spices in resealable plastic bags in an airtight plastic storage box.

Regards

Phil, I see that all stainless steel is not created equal. I'm putting anything with salt into 1/2 cup glass spice jars. Can't beat glass. I store my backup spices in vacuum-sealed 1-cup canning jars in plastic drawers in a cool, darkish place, and a few in the freezer.

A tip for those who have the magnetic tins. Occasionally the lids aren't as tight as they should be. A small 1-inch-long strip of masking tape inside the rim will tighten up the seal nicely. I've had to add a second one once or twice.

Also, Cost Plus / World Market has red tins --- nice for chiles & hot stuff. The Container Store also has magnetic plastic tins in white but they are a little deeper and maybe 1/8-1/4" wider than the tin ones.

Rita

I just moved all my spices to canning jars. I had most of my spices in some fancy plastic ones with rubber gaskets. I was reading that all plastic is porous, couple that info with a fresh order of ancho that was much brighter red than the stuff in the plastic container, and I concluded that my ancho was oxidizing in the plastic.

I purchased 12 pint jars for 6 bucks, and actually went back for another 12 for a few extra spices without homes.

does anybody store spices in the refer or freezer?

Back