Trends in Barbecue

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Dr. BBQ and thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

It seems that competition techniques and styles change or evolve over time (e.g., injecting and simmering chicken). I wonder if once everyone begins using a particular strategy it becomes "old hat", setting the stage for something different to come along and catch the judges' attention.

When you look into your crystal ball, what emerging (or declining) trends do you see in competitive barbecue? What will competitive barbecue look like in the future?

Hi Dennis,
I'll be at some big Kroger store in Cincinatti July 9th. Come by and say hi.

I haven't yet seen any of the super trends go away, they have evolved some but they are staying put. I worry that there will become a benchmark much like there is in Chili cookoffs, and all the originality will be gone. I hope not, but trying new things doesn't usually bode well, and I'm there to try and win.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

Turns out they built a HUGE Kroger store about a mile from my house ... supposed to be the biggest Kroger store in the Free World ... complete with a Starbucks and a jewelry store(!). (The only thing I really like about it is that they now carry prime graded steaks!)

Hopefully, you'll be coming to the store near me.

I did a quick Google search and checked your web page, but neither turned up information about an appearance ... I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

P.S. - When you come to Cincinnati, I'd love to know what you think about the ribs from Montgomery Inn ... they have a tremendous business in these parts, both in-restaurant and mail order ... but many of us suspect that they boil the ribs ... certainly no smoke. I should be careful ... Montgomery Inn is a Cincinnati icon!

That's probably the store. They bought 200 books so it's no wimpy neighborhood store.

I plan to try Montgomery Inn while I'm there. I was recently told that the ribs are cooked in some kind of smoker/oven that they load with a forklift.

Back