A Butt Rub (for Jane)

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Jane Cherry wanted to try a different butt rub for Smoke Day, so I suggested this:

1/2 c light or dark Muscovado sugar or Turbinado
1/4 c Ancho chili powder
1/2 c hot New Mexico chili powder
1/3 c onion powder
1/3 c garlic powder
1/4 c dried thyme
2 T marjoram
1 T ground coriander
1 T ground cumin
1T ground black pepper
2 t allspice
2 t cinnamon
2 t celery seed
2 t ginger

Blend everything.

As always, I do not include salt in my rub mixtures.

I prefer to apply a nice even amount of Kosher salt to my meat, wait several minutes for the surface of the meat to become moist (often I salt first, then mix the rub while the meat sits), then apply the rub generously.

This is the rub I used for my butts and ribs yesterday. It was really good, except I spaced out salting anything. So, when I went to pull and sauce with the vinegar sauces, I salted the meat then. I had some of the rub leftover, so I added salt to that so I wouldn't forget it next time.

I thought this would be sweet, but it isn't. I did use the exact ingredients called for. I highly recommend this.

Is it possible to use fresh onions and garlic rather than dried / powdered? (I don't know where to get dried and powdered in the UK!!)
I realize it would come out as a paste rather than a dry rub...
Andrew

andrew-- Yes, you could. Normally you'd sub a lot more of the fresh but I wouldn't worry about that too much. What you'll want is a very thick paste. To make it more manageable you could halve the amounts called for of the dry ingredients; mix them in a bowl. Puree a peeled, medium onion with about 8 cloves of peeled garlic (alternatively, grate the onion on the small holes of a box grater into a bowl to capture all the juices; press the garlic through a press; mix well), then add the puree a little at a time, mixing and mashing with a fork till combined well.

Kevin, I finally tried some fenugreek. After some research...I decided to use it with cumin and came up with the Memeorial Rub just posted. It lacks the allspice / cinnamon layers you added. The more I read, the more I realize that there are not too many 'new' rubs. I had read yours but did not follow it and yet there are some similar layers of flavor. Perhaps a little of your expertise is rubbing off!

Perhaps it is!
icon_smile.gif

Actually, it's probably your own coming to the surface. If you remember my smelling/tasting post of a while back--if you focus (however briefly) on the smells/tastes of what you're making while you make it and what you're eating while you eat it, you can develop your own sense of the nuance and layering ability of flavor(s). Sounds like that's what you're doing.

Like music, it can be argued that there's nothing 'new' and in a way I'd agree. There are only so many notes in a scale but 'new' combinations of those notes and different choices of instruments to play them (hear the pedal steel in the background? the one sustained low D from the cello?), different tempos, etc., make a new compostion. I think recipe development is the same; is for me anyway.

I know what you mean though, just me in 'food mode'.
icon_smile.gif

But! Send me an e sometime with your address. I'm making raz el hanout (just waiting on the last few ingredients to arrive). It is a spice blend used in Moroccan cuisine, particularly tagines--but great as a rub on lamb, chicken, and in rice dishes--almost 60 ingredients. I'll send you some and you can see what you think.

Ras al Hanout is one of those blends that is quintessential to the individual making it. I have some in my freezer from World Spice in Seattle, and I've gotten many recipes for it, and they are all different. As with moles, which are specific to different regions in Mexico, layering on top of that the individual making it from generations past, we all have our particular additions to something that we find interesting or tasty. There is no blueprint, right or wrong, it's all based on your preference and how much you want to play with something.

I know when I go to work and do what I do for a client, rarely do I take the recipes with me. I know what I'm making and how to make it, and the dishes that I end up preparing are better than anything on paper, because I have only used that as a guide, something in which to start with. My artistic touches go beyond that, because I usually know which additions will compliment the dish I am making. We all know the differences in mustards, vinegars, alcohols, and spices, because we taste them, and just because it's not listed in the recipe doesn't mean that it won't be welcome.

Food is an art, it's neverending with the possibilities one can conjure up.

I did some leg quarters with this rub last nite over indirect heat. Boy, was this good! I have always done my standard Raichlin recipe. I did find a container of the Root Beer BBQ sauce in my fridge for sauce, I couldn't tell you when I made it, but it was still good, and this combination was extraordinary. It's not just for pork anymore.

Dan, this is a staple at my house. I always have it on hand and use it for chicken and pork, even if I'm grilling or doing rotisserie.

I have gotten used to rubs without salt, that now I find if they contain salt it's too overpowering. The biggest problem is that most rubs do not use Kosher salt in them, and regular salt has a metallic flavor to me.

hi, yep i felt handcuffed by making rub w/ salt premixed in, so i stopped doing that a few yrs ago...

as for the recipe i realy like the chili powders and ginger.

is the call for muscovado or turbinado sugar as they dont burn? as easily as regular brown sugar?

They'll burn. But sucrose doesn't burn at typical smoker temps (<350?). The flavor of the former is a little deeper, the texture of the latter is more dry and so it mixes with the other ingredients easily. Any sugar will work here though.

Kevin - I made your rub recipe a few days ago & used it on two pork butts which came out very tasty. I like this rub which is quite different than the Magic Dust I had been using. This one now moves to the front of the shelf. Thanks!

Richard

Update on Kevin's butt rub - I put some into a beef clod that I ground for hamburgers. Added a little olive oil and rosemary on top. Mmmmmm. Excellent. Way to go Kevin.

Richard

Kevin;
I will be attempting to prepare Pork butt for about 30 people. I figure I will need about 3-4 butts. Will this make enough rub or should I double / triple it?

Thanks,
Paul

This makes quite a bit, but I would triple it for sure. Once you salt the meat and put your first application of rub, wait about five minutes and then apply a second sprinkling of rub.

I have 2 oz of dried Chile Morita Pods and 2 oz Chipolte chili pepper. could I sub one or both for the NM hot, or do I have to make a road trip.
Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Tim

No, you don't have to make a road trip. All the rubs I've made involving chiles can use substitutions very easily. You'll just get a different flavor. Maybe Kevin can elaborate on what you will get with what, because I've never used Moritas. The Chipotle will make it really spicy.

Thank you Jane. I did not mean to say that I could not make a road trip as more of what I have at hand.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Back