Great Website for New and Old WSM Owners Alike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
I am continually amazed at what a great website Chris has developed and the courtesy exhibited by its members. New WSM Owners are able to ask questions without feeling looked down upon. There are members of this website who are world class BBQ champions and who amazingly take the time to answer new owner's questions. I have come across other bbq websites where the discussion threads turn into virtual brawls over techniques.

I would encourage all new WSM owners (and not-so-new WSM owners) to read Chris's "Tips & Mods" and "Cooking" sections thoroughly. Those sections answer many new owner questions about techniques and time tested recipes. Not-so-new owners also benefit from rereading those sections. I confess that I had not looked at the "Tips & Mods" section in about 6 months and discovered a great many changes recently as new techniques are refined and discovered. For example, the renowned "Minion Method" for lighting the WSM has been refined. Using sand rather than water in the pan is now discussed. New techiques for cooking poultry and crisping the skin are discussed. Chris has done a fabulous job of keeping this website up to date.

Before I found this website and bought my WSM last summer, my idea of bbq was turning the knob on my gas grill, pushing the igniter button and trying not to burn my meat. The contents of this website and the discussions from its many members have allowed me to create food that my family believes is as good as any bbq restaurant. (I realize that I'm not even close, but I'm not going to dissuade them otherwise)

It is truly a pleasure to belong to this WSM community. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Dave!

There is a tremendous amount of information on the Web site, and I know it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. I, too, encourage people to browse the topics on the site, try using the search box at the top of each page, and checkout the forums. If they still can't find what they're looking for, then feel free to ask here. Someone will provide a great response, or I can point them to the appropriate topic on the site.

All questions are welcome and answered with a smile! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Indeed, a fabulous web site with fabulous people.
I know a lot of people want to jump in with questions that have been answered all ready on the website with answers readily available.

Still, everyone seems to embrace newbies (like me)
with no hint of animosity. Truly nice people...
God bless America, and God bless smokers!!!

I second that!
Great people here, and a world of knowledge.
Thanks Chris. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The advice I give all new cooks right after I talk them into buying a WSM from this site is to throw away the owners manual and start here! Oh yeah and turn the Weber water pan into a bird bath and get a Brinkmann charcoal pan /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I owe all of my BBQ succes over the last 18 months to this website and the people on this forum in particular, who happily and entusistically answered questions and offered advice even back before I owned a WSM.

I only hope to one day be able to help someone else the same way.

Ditto! This site is great.

Please don't forget to help Chris out by making a donation, or purchasing a product via his affiliation with Amazon. As a Web Developer, I can tell you that there are plenty of costs to operating a site (domain registration, hosting, bandwidth, software, etc. etc. etc.) in addition to hours of programming and editing.

Did he save you from ruining a bunch of ribs? A brisket? A pork butt? Save you from running out and buying a $20 book to learn a certain technique. Send him the money he saved you and keep this site alive!

Go here for instructions on how to help.
Thanks Chris.

Dave Burke, a fellow Mainer!! How's it going? I'm firing up the WSM for the first time tomorrow with these tropical temps we're supposed to have (over 40? !!!). I bought my WSM from EBay, but only because I got a great deal, it was already seasoned, and I'm an EBay addict. Once I get the first successful cook under my belt, I'm gonna definitely donate to this site, kinda "split the difference" in what I saved going with EBay instead of what's still a great deal from Amazon. Sites like this with vast resources and are FREE to use are total lifesavers. Without www.turbobuick.com my Grand National would probably be up on blocks in the backyard with blown head gaskets. The knowledge at these sites can save LOTS of time and money. I was just browsing EBay for an owners manual, and found everything down to the most basic assembly instructions right here...for free.
Well, I'm off to search the site for rub recipes, thanks to all who help!

So Jerod... How did the the first Q come out? Ready to cook for guests yet? (hint, hint)

And yee-haw, it's over 40 in Maine! I'm wearing my shorts! What a long, long, long, winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back