Dried Worchestershire (sp?)....

Burton Short

I've seen this ingredient in a number of different store bought rubs and I was wondering if you guys knew where to purchase it. I would love to try it with a steak rub I'm working on.

It's a powder (that is VERY susceptible to humidity; keep air tight or it will form into very hard 'rocks'--it can be reground but the flavor is affected) that, imo, has a slightly brighter flavor than most Worce liquids. Very nice in rubs and the thing to use if liquid isn't workable or will mess up your plan.

Thnaks guys, any idea where to get dired/powdered cider vinegar? sounds strange but I've also seen this in some of the store bought rubs I've used as well.

Try here. IIRC theirs is dried white, as is most available at the consumer level. Though there is a difference in direct comparison if unadulterated, when mixed into rubs, say, the differences pretty much vanish.

Imo, there are better choices for souring agents. Two that will give you sour plus great fruit are amchoor and sumac. Much better, to me, than vinegar powder. Both are available from WorldSpice.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Imo, there are better choices for souring agents. Two that will give you sour plus great fruit are amchoor and sumac. Much better, to me, than vinegar powder. Both are available from WorldSpice.

Don't forget tamarind Kevin, works wonders with BBQ foods.

Erik

Quite right. I use quite a bit of tamarind--and pomegranate as well--but moreso in their fresh or paste forms (tamarind), syrup form (pomegranate) or juice forms (both). Fruit elements are an essential to me in barbecue, whether in rubs or, especially, sauces.

I completely agree Kevin. I have always made my own bbq sauce and honestly, it was never anything special. Once I decided to add tamarind and change a few of the ingredients, the sauce was out of this world. Next time I am planning on adding either pineapple or mango.

Erik

Both are terrific in Q sauces. I use both fresh and dried quite often and both are good as the primary (rather than, say, tomato) though tomato complements both--as does tamarind.

World Spice is exceptional. I go down to Seattle and pick up spices from there about once a month. The staff is extremely nice and very knowledgeable. The only problem when ordering by Canada from mail is you have to pre pay by money order before they will ship so it takes to long. Not sure if this is a problem in the US. Their quality is top notch though!

Clark

Nope. Here one orders on line, they ship, and they include a bill in the box.

I like their store. Grab a couple piroshki up on Pike and then wander down to them. I'd do it daily if I lived there!

If you are a red drinker, Clark, hit the wine store on Pike and grab a couple bottles of Doug Mcrae's current syrah release. ~$32/btl and worth every penny.

I have tried several things at Le Panier--all winners--including the macaroons.

I missed dining at Brasa last time I was in town. I managed to swill a fair bit of wine but had to leave before ordering (liked the menu very much) as a friend supposedly arriving in Everett at 10, called to say she was waiting for me to pick her up...at 6. Didn't make it back, unfortunately.

My wife and I ran into that wine problem at Brasa as well, and she normally doesn't drink! You'll have to give the food a go when you have a chance I have really enjoyed it.

For Le Panier, I have had a go at making their pistachio macaroons a couple times and have had reasonable success but not stellar. Have you tried to make anything similar. My base was from cooks illustrated.

Clark

I haven't--not in some time. I'd really need to get back there and assess...

Perhaps this summer.

Back