Tomato Pie

Mike Resler

TVWBB Super Fan
Tomato Pie

Ingredients:
1 9 inch frozen deep dish pie shell baked and cooled
2 large tomatoes (green or red) peeled and thickly sliced (or enough to fill pie shell)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried sweet or fresh chopped basil
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Fill pie shell with tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, basil chives, and bacon.
Mix mayonnaise and cheese. Spread over tomatoes.

Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
I'm sold...how can you go wrong with bacon, toms and mayo!! And Cheese!!

Making this real soon!! Thanks Mike.
Mike, Wayne and I have plans to make this dish up on Labor day. The 30 min cook time is short, prob just enough to heat it through? and leave the inside still crunchy, is my guess? My concern is alot of liquid from the toms? Any insight on this? Makes no difference, we'll be making it real soon. Thanks for posting this, sounds great.
icon_cool.gif

I'm thinking of pre-cooking the onions and garlic in the bacon grease! Good point about the toms....maybe need to 'drain/dry' them too!

Let us know how it turns out and I'll do the same!

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
I'm sold...how can you go wrong with bacon, toms and mayo!! And Cheese!!

Making this real soon!! Thanks Mike.
Mike, Wayne and I have plans to make this dish up on Labor day. The 30 min cook time is short, prob just enough to heat it through? and leave the inside still crunchy, is my guess? My concern is alot of liquid from the toms? Any insight on this? Makes no difference, we'll be making it real soon. Thanks for posting this, sounds great.
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned, is good. Remember, you have already baked the pie crust.

If you are concerned about the liquid from the tomatoes, place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.

I'm making one tomorrow, with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil and fresh chives I bought today at the farmers market.

Let me know how you like it!

I'm thinking of pre-cooking the onions and garlic in the bacon grease! Good point about the toms....maybe need to 'drain/dry' them too!

Let us know how it turns out and I'll do the same!

I would follow the recipe for the first time, after that you can make changes. The minced chives are fine without pre-cooking them.

There is no garlic in this recipe. (Although it may be good).

Post back your thoughts on it after you make it!

Originally posted by Mike Resler:
There is no garlic in this recipe. (Although it may be good).

Too funny!! My mind was racing with options as I was reading your OP...I was thinking of diced onions instead of chives and I put garlic in nearly everything.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out and with pictures most likely.

My wife made this for a best veggie event at a BBQ contest last year. It was outstanding even without bacon.

Thanks for the pic! Looks yummy....do you remember how you scored?
Not as well as expected, only a top five. It was REALLY good. One of the organizers was hanging around our site for samples.

We made it again last week for home consumption. Bacon goes in next time.

this look interesting. we have been buying a lot of fresh basil at the farmers market for pesto. have to try this soon

For those worried about the amount of liquid released from the tomatoes. Go with Green tomatoes. I think traditionally green tomato pie is what this recipe is derivative from.

I made the tomato pie last weekend. It came out great, thanks for posting. That said, this recipe is wide open for tweaks and changing the mayo topping. I know alot of people don't like mayo so with this recipe, you can make it your own. You could use a combo of mayo, miracle whip, or mayo, sour cream, or 1/3 mayo, 1/3 wiralce whip, 1/3 sour cream. I also think a combo of Blue cheese dressing, mayo, sour cream would work well or ranch dressing instead of the blue. A mayo horseradish combo would be great with the bacon and toms as well. Def onions and garlic, the possibilities are almost endless here. I'll be playing with this one for a while. Thanks again for posting this Mike.
icon_cool.gif

UUJHF-TomatoPie001.jpg

EXAED-TomatoPie002.jpg

Thank's Bryan, glad you like it! It is kind of like a BLT in a pie.

The pictures you posted made me want to crawl inside my monitor and get a slice!

Tomato pie is fine stuff.

One recommendation: use a biscuit dough prebaked instead of pie shell. Now we're talking. Bisquick is ok.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Tomato pie is fine stuff.

One recommendation: use a biscuit dough prebaked instead of pie shell. Now we're talking. Bisquick is ok.

Absolutely not. You've never had my wife's pie crust.

Originally posted by paul h:
Did you make your own crust?
Nope, bought Pillsbury crust, found in the fridge section at the store. It's rolled out and round, perfect size for making the pie. There's 2 crusts per box, enough to make 2 pies. I didn't put a top crust on, not sure if you are sup to or not? Yeah, it's good stuff, do try it.

Made this last night (without the bacon). Great side dish and as Bryan said, I think the possibilities to tweak this are numerous. I'll add garlic and sauteed onions next time. I think mushrooms would be good too. Thanaks for posting the recipe Mike.

Ray

Back