BBQ Places in Atlanta Ga.

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
We are going to be in Atlanta this weekend. We will be downtown and no car, are there any good BBQ places downtown?
Thanks in advance

Try Rolling Bones, located on Edgewood Dr. Depending on where you are staying, you can either walk there or take a cheap cab ride.

It's BBQ with a carribean theme. This basically means that there is a hint of pineapple in their slaw and potato salad. Everything else (pulled pork & ribs) is pretty standard stuff.

I think it is only o.k. , but the place is pretty dang famous around here. Anyway, it's the only Q joint that I know of that's in the immediate downtown area. Hopefully you'll like it.

Fat Matts on 1811 Piedmont Ave is pretty good..not much room inside though

I've only been to Fat Matt's once. Had the rib sandwich and wasn't terribly impressed. Also, it's in the Midtown/Buckhead area, not Downtown. Would be a bit more of a cab ride for ya.

You should try Harold's BBQ 171 McDonough Blvd SE. 404-627-9268. The Hembree family opened up in 1947, there's a branch down near Fort Gillem in Forest Park, too. It's near the Federal Pen where Al Capone served time and the old GM Lakewood assembly plant. It's about a mile from Turner Field, a cabbie should know where to go. Take the University Avenue exit. Very good pork BBQ, cracklin' corn bread, sweet tea and Brunswick stew. Weekdays it is filled with state employees & politicians, it's just down the street from the State Trooper HQ.

Daddy Dz BBQ is near downtown - 264 Memorial Drive 404-222-0206. Try the BBQ poppers, a bit of BBQ wrapped in dough and cooked. Blues on Fri & Sat nights. A bit of an adventure.

Rolling Bones - try the brisket.

Fat Matt's - I'm not a big rib fan, but the BBQ pork is OK, good beer selection, nice sides & tasty pie. Bring earplugs (yes, I'm over 50) LOUD blues band darn near every night. Or sit outside on the narrow deck. There's a Fat Matt's BBQ chicken stand next door.

A bit farther, over near Emory is Dusty's - an outpost of North Carolina style BBQ and other specialties. 1815 Briarcliff Road 404-320-6264. They usually have Cheerwine - a local North Carolina style soft drink.

Please, whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO SONNY'S!! Tt's mediocre chain food. You can do better!

Ken (from Atlanta, thinking of that smoked chicken in the fridge)

This is a little late, but Sam & Dave's is the best 'Q I've found north of downtown Atlanta. Fresh and home-smoked tasting. It's a drive from downtown, or even from where we live, but it's so worth it. The eating area was quite small the last time I was there. Check the website for location(s).

They close when they run out of BBQ, so it's good to get there early.

http://lostmountainbbq.com/index.html

Ribs, Etc. (Roswell Road, north of Buckhead) does not have a real smoker and the babyback meat falls off the bone. Kinda gray.

Pig 'n Chick's pulled pork is on the mushy side and their Brunswick stew is a thin soup. I think they have gas-fired smokers - can't smell smoke near the store. Local smoke ordinances?

Rita

No smoke ordinances I'm aware of in Fulton or Dekalb county. Brick Pit in Chambee uses real wood and you can darn sure smell it inside, same for Harold's or Daddy Dz.

I don't understand why some folks get all hot & bothered by Pig n' Chik. A plate with a couple of sides and tea seems to run about $10. The pork is 'pulled' in huge hunks - not finely pulled with forks or chopped like most places. The shop on Peachtree Industrial just boxes up stuff from the Roswell Road main store, AFAIK.

Ken

Back