Fresh Ham roast

G

I am looking for some help. I have two fresh ham roast in my freezer that I would like to try on my WSM. Can anyone help me out with recipe and cooking times and temps?

I do fresh hams at 325-350 as I do not care for them as much when done low/slow but you can. Often I halve so they are about 9-10 lbs or so but I also do whole ones--depends on how many I am cooking for.

I prefer skin-on so I use a razor blade to make a crosshatch pattern in the skin (cutting into the underlying fat up to--but not into--the meat. I brine in a mix of 3 qts water, 3 cups apple or cranberry juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup kosher salt, a few dozen whole cloves, and 1-2 tsps of freshly grated nutmeg. I soak for 24 hours-48 hours for half hams, 48-72 for whole.

I often make a rub of 1/2 cup Tabasco, 2 Tblsp minced fresh garlic, 2 Tbls each of cumin and coriander, 1 Tbls dry thyme, 2 teaspoons each of allspice and ginger, and 1 Tbls each of kosher salt, freshly ground white pepper, and brown sugar.

I grill-roast at 350 and pull at ~150 internal (take temps in 2 places once one place hits your temp), and rest it 30 min. They usually take 3-4 hours cook time, depending on size, longer for the whole larger ones but not by much. I serve it with pineapple-mango salsa or a sauce like this or this.

Certainly most any brine or rub will work here. Substitute at will. I like this brine on fresh ham and this paste rub makes the skin/fat on the outside very spicy and delicious.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the help Kevin, I think I will give your recipe a try. The roast are about 4 lbs apiece. I think I will brine for about 24 hours and go from there. I sure do enjoy reading through all the information on this board, it is extremely helpful. I am new to the WSM. The things I have put on it have been unbelievable and I cannot wait to try more.

Thanks again everyone...

Back