Creamy Banana Pudding

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
I saw the latest update to the site and noticed a recipe for banana pudding. It reminded me of a recipe that I've used for years. This is without a doubt the most decadent banana pudding I've ever tasted. And, it's the easiest to make.

1 - can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 - 3 1/2oz pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 - 9oz container Cool Whip
Vanilla wafers
3 - bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice

In a large mixing bowl, combine condensed milk and water. Add pudding mix and beat until well blended. Chill for 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip. In a 2 1/2 quart bowl, layer vanilla wafer, pudding, and bananas. Chill thoroughly.

This recipe was originally published in the Second Typically Texas cookbook. These are a series of cookbooks published by The Association of Texas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. All the recipets are sent in by customers.

Try this and I know you will agree that it's the best Banana pudding you've ever had!!

Another secret to outstanding banana pudding, freeze it then eat it like ice cream! not a rock hard freeze, just a soft freeze, tastes like banana pudding ice cream!

Danny Hardesty

Hmm, that sounds like a great idea. Especially since this is a creamier style. I think it would make a great icecream.

Thanks
JC

I've made this with 99 Banana's liquor. I dipped the nilla wafers in the liquor like you dip ladyfingers for Tiramisu. Adds a little kick to it.

Hmmm. And one could kick the pudding up a notch by turning the condensed milk into Dulce de Leche (caramelized milk) before mixing it with the other ingredients.

Rita

Awesome! I made the Banana Pudding from this recipe this weekend, and took it to a party. It was gone in an instant, with a lot of wonderful comments. I will be making this again.

Thanks,
NCC, aka John

Try making the pudding from homemade! It will bring the thing up to a new level. I use 5 egg yolks, some sugar, a little flour, a vanilla beans or really good vanilla extract and 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 whole milk and you'll literally think you died and went to heaven. Bring all that up to about 170-180 on a candy thermometer and pass it through a sieve just to make sure you get any lumps out and spread 'er on. Wish I had exact ingredients, but I always make my vanilla pudding from eyeball.

BTW, if you leave the starch ingredient out, i.e. the flour or cornstarch if you use that instead, then you have the makings of one heck of an ice cream base. It freezes up smooth and creamy and stays that way even after a rest in the freezer.

Last edited:
RC, my mawinlaw mixes up something that's probably the same as this thread, but I prefer old school southern banana pudding, myself, and they're not all equal. A dear friend of our family cooks a really good one and a couple years or so ago gave me an aprox. 9x9" "personal banana pudding" for my birthday, complete with a meringue topping that just fit under the lid. You want to talk about something worth taking a picture of?! Man, it was something, but you have to know her. She makes everyone call her "Mee Maw" and refuses to retire.

Back