Buyer beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
Well I just got off the phone with Weber CS. I had a good experience with the associate I was talking too. I was ordering a new 22.5 SS hinged cooking grate and a 18.5 WSM charcoal grate. I was excited to use the "SUMMERBBQ2011" promo code to receive free shipping.

I was taken back when I was quoted a price of $60 for the 22.5 SS hinged cooking grate. I had the other day looked it up on their website and remembered that it was $30. The associate and I traded model numbers and found out that the same item had a few model numbers and that in fact they did have different prices. The price difference was $30 which is a pretty substantial amount. She said she was surprised by the difference and was going to research the discrepancy further.

She also didnt know or hear about the promo code to receive free shipping. So in closing be sure to look up what you are ordering to find the prices and just not accept what they tell you blindly. I saved myself $38 by being an informed shopper.

yes, you need to have your info ready for them, I called them the other night after George asked if the free shipping was good on call in orders also and the rep. I got immediately told me it was good on any order, on-line or by phone. Guess it depends on who you get. If I get someone that seems clueless I generally just say oops we got cut off and call back and get a different rep.

yes, I have also noticed variable pricing from Weber CS.
About a year ago I needed a cover for my redhead SS Performer. I called customer service and was quoted the price...I didn't order because I didn't have my credit card handy. The next day, with the lost credit card in hand, I called back to order. A different rep gave me a different (more expensive) price quote. I asked why the price was different than the day before and the rep agreed to a new price lower than the previously quoted price, and she threw in free shipping. It seemed strange that I would get three different prices within two phone calls, but I was glad to take the lowest offer...

Very strange...I just ordered this grate 2 days ago and was quoted $30 (might have been $29.99). But when I asked about it the lady did put me on hold for 5 minutes. I don't think she even knew what I was talking about at first. I asked her 2 or 3 times if she was ordering the stainless steel one and she said she was. I guess we'll see when it gets here. I think she was new because it took me almost 20 minutes to order the stainless steel 22.5 grate along with replacement cooking grates for my 18.5 WSM.

She did give me free shipping with no problem though. I don't know how they could deny free shipping on phone orders when they don't make all their parts available through the website. I would gladly order the stuff through the website if they would just put a little money into it and make it useable.

I ordered a s.s. 22.5" grate ($29.99) along with a few other items a couple of days ago. I found all the items online and didn't have to call.

I just hung up with Weber. I ordered some vent dampers (adding a 2nd exhaust vent to each WSM) for the 2nd time, as I threw the 1st box away thinking it was empty. At least each set was only $6.

I really need a cover for my 26er. I have been quoted $49 by weber, and $49 by ace hardware. When I first asked weber why it was so high, they said they try not to compete with the local retailers on those type items. I had planned to pick one up and support my local ace, but always seem to forget.

So while ordering my damper sets today I went ahead and checked the price again. $27.99 for the 26 cover. I didn’t say anything and just ordered it.

It’s not like it’s a few dollars difference, this was $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back