Kabobs from America's Test Kitchen

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I've had good luck using this method for kabobs from America's Test Kitchen, only I substitute sirloin or chicken breast for lamb.

I think the key learning was to cut everything into 1" cubes, and to skip stuff like tomatoes and mushrooms that turn to mush before the meat cooks. I like to use meat with a teriyaki marinade, pineapple chunks, 3 colors of bell pepper, and red onion.

Regards,
Chris

-------------------
Kabobs from America's Test Kitchen

Charcoal-Grilled Shish Kebab
Serves 6

Cutting up the onion so the pieces will stay together on skewers is a little tricky. After substantial testing, we found that this method works best: Trim away stem and root end and cut the onion into quarters. Peel the three outer layers of the onion away from the inner core. Working with the outer layers only, cut each quarter--from pole to pole--into three strips of equal width. Cut each of the 12 strips crosswise into three pieces. (You should have 36 small stacks of three layers each.)

• 1 recipe marinade (3 marinades are listed below, or you can substitute store-bought)
  • 2 1/4 pounds boneless leg of lamb (shank end), trimmed of fat and silver skin and cut into 1-inch pieces (substitute sirloin beef or chicken breast if you prefer)
  • 3 medium bell peppers, 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange (about 1 1/2 pounds), each cut into twenty-four 1-inch pieces
  • 1 large red onion (about 12 ounces), cut into thirty-six 3/4-inch pieces (see note)
  • Lemon or lime wedges for serving (optional)

1. Toss marinade and lamb in gallon-sized zipper-lock plastic bag or large, nonreactive bowl; seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible, or cover bowl and refrigerate until fully seasoned, at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.

2. Ignite 1 large chimney hardwood charcoal and burn until covered with light gray ash, 20 to 30 minutes. Spread coals over grill bottom, then spread 6 more quarts unlit charcoal over lit coals. Position grill rack over coals and heat until very hot, about 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, starting and ending with meat, thread 4 pieces meat, 3 pieces onion (three 3-layer stacks), and 6 pieces pepper in mixed order on 12 metal skewers.

4. Grill kebabs, uncovered, until meat is well browned all over, grill-marked, and cooked to medium-rare, about 7 minutes (or 8 minutes for medium), turning each kebab one-quarter turn every 1 3/4 minutes to brown all sides. Transfer kebabs to serving platter, squeeze lemon or lime wedges over kebabs if desired, and serve immediately.

--------------
Warm-Spiced Parsley Marinade with Ginger
Enough for 1 recipe of shish kebab

1/2 cup (packed) fresh parsley leaves
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped coarse
1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped coarse
3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Process all ingredients in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of workbowl with rubber spatula as needed.

---------------------
Garlic and Cilantro Marinade with Garam Masala

1/2 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup dark raisins
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1-1/2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Process all ingredients in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until smooth, about 1 minute, stopping to scrape sides of workbowl with rubber spatula as needed.

-----------------------
Sweet Curry Marinade with Buttermilk

3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in gallon-sized, zipper-lock plastic bag or large, nonreactive bowl in which meat will marinate.

This must be some kind of record, for longest time between original post and first reply! 3665 days or 10 years 12 days! :)

Holy crap! Thanks for finding this OlegTexas, and a BIG THANKS to Chris A for posting this in the first place (10 years and 17 days ago today)!!!

Wow... that's awesome! I love all of these!

My bucket list of things I want to try from reading on here should take me well into April or May... And that's just what I've come across!

CM

I find the meat does take on some onion flavor when they are threaded together, so I will do as they do and put onion and bell pepper with the meat.

For other veg, such as mushrooms or zucchini, I thread them on their own skewers so they cook the proper time for that ingredient.

This kind of food hits our kettle grill a lot on Friday evenings in the spring/summer.

Back