WSM Fried Chicken

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Back on the Grilling Forum there was a post on the Dizzy Pig breaded wings. I said I tried it and it was great. Next was breaded thighs. Thank you Chris from Dizzy Pig. Fried chicken on the WSM. 10º outside. Open vents all the way. Top rack. Foiled pan. Started skin side up. Flipped after 1/2 hour. Flipped again after 1/2 hour. Kinda stacked in the middle of the grate. 1 1/2 hours. Hmmmm! The only thing it needed was some more flavor. Should have brined also. But I was ice fishing all AM.

Wish I knew how to link to the other post, but check out the recipe under Grilling/Wing Suggestions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:

Wish I knew how to link to the other post, but check out the recipe under Grilling/Wing Suggestions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Breaded Slow-Grilled Almost-Fried Chicken Wings

Makes 12-15 wings

Breading:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 tbsp Dizzy Pig rub (works well with all rubs except Cow Lick....I used Tsunami Spin
2 tsp salt

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
(you might need 2 eggs and 1 cup milk for a large batch)

Technique:
First thing I do is clip off the wing tips
I use my own rub I like

Dan,

I did this recipe yesterday as well and it was very good. I think I would ease off making sure that everything was coated very well, because it was a bit thick in some areas. I also made the mistake of not taking out my second WSM for the wings as the first one was being used for spares. I ended up using a small offset I picked up from Craigslist for the wings. That thing makes me really appreciate the WSM. It took two full lit chimneys of RO Steakhouse lump to cook those wings. We finished them with a bit a Frank's wing sauce and they were very tasty.

By the way Dan, what is your shirt size? I give you the finished product at the Northstar BBQ & Blues fest this summer.

Back