Stretching Pizza...a journey

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Handling wet dough can be a bit intimmidating. In the beginning, I made small pies. Still do most of the time-one per person. I started by taking the dough in hand ,let it hang and just stretch a little and rotate in a circle as the pie shape comes together- the dough gets thinner and the diameter larger. Just rotate it with both hands til it gets as big as you like without tearing.

I also tried just rolling out with a rolling pin-one problem-it usually lacked the thicker edge I was looking for.

Method three: the baggie smear

Flatten the dough in the baggie it was stored in. Open the bag and make a full length cut down each side. Place the dough on parchment paper. Now open the bag and with the inside of the bag against the dough, just press the dough out with your hand similar to using a rolling pin. Push in all directions and leave a nice thick edge. You will have to reposition the bag as you go. No mess, no extra tools and very effective. Go as thick or thin as you care, this simple method works fine. Now you have no excuses. Go make pizza.

For this method to work, you must have a generous spray or coating of olive oil inside the bag (before adding the dough to ferment in the fridge).

Back