Smoked Redfish pics

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Have quite a bit of redfish in the freezer from a recent coast trip
icon_biggrin.gif
, and thought why not try a quasi-salmon recipe? I used about 1/2 ring of lump and 2 good sized pieces of birch for the smoke. The filets were 'on the half shell' meaning skin on 1 side. That worked very well as they were smoked skin side down which added protection from the heat. I brined them for 1 hour in a basic salt & sugar brine, rinsed and sprinkled with Old Bay. Went on the WSM for about 1.5 hours @ 200-250. As they came off, 1/2 lb of shrimp went on. You gotta have a snack
icon_wink.gif
! Shrimp marinated in olive oil, lime juice and Old Bay. Before serving the fish, I drizzled with a mixture of butter and white wine and lime juice. The fish was very moist with a nice amount of smoke flavor. Now, about that trout in the freezer...hmmm...

Redfish meets smoke

1.5 hrs later...

With a little shrimp

Filet

And more ...

Paul,

Your pix make my wouth water !!!! I know very little about fish
icon_smile.gif
But your's looks fantastic ! Is redfish an oily and/or "fishy" tasting fish ?

I grew up on the west coast of FL....when I was a kid, we'd get "smoked mullet" as a treat when my uncle came to visit. Now, it's hard to come by down there, and when I say "mullet" here in MD, they think I'm talking about a hair cut
icon_smile.gif
I have a recipe for smoked mullet, and I've actually seen it in Lexington Market in Baltimore, but I've never tried it....

Any recommendations on a good fillet to smoke that isn't "fishy" ? The wife doesn't like "fishy" fish, so I've tried orange roughy, catfish, etc, but it's just not the same....falls apart....

Any advice appreciated !

Dean....

Mullet .. Never tried it but we used to catch 'em at night in the inner coastal down at Sebastian Inlet just by shining a high powered light across the water .. They'd be jumping all over including in the boat! Used them for bait.
icon_wink.gif
I've since read that they're fairly good eatin'...

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Mullet .. Never tried it but we used to catch 'em at night in the inner coastal down at Sebastian Inlet just by shining a high powered light across the water .. They'd be jumping all over including in the boat! Used them for bait.
icon_wink.gif
I've since read that they're fairly good eatin'...

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

Ya made me LOL !!! Mullet are/were a "trash" fish, for sure. You could catch 'em with a dough ball on a hook (they're vegitarians), but the most common method was with a cast net....

Trash or not, I can still taste the flavor of a good smoked mullet piece, dug out of the boney fillet, and put on a cracker with a squeeze of lemon ! Yow !!!!

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
so I've tried orange roughy, catfish, etc, but it's just not the same....falls apart....
Any advice appreciated !
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well if not smoking on a plank, then you need to use a fish with the skin on so it doesn't fall apart on you.
icon_wink.gif

Paul, Nice pics.
icon_cool.gif
Fish and shrimp look very good. Nice job.
icon_smile.gif

Nice pics. My wife was already hinting that she'd like some fish next week, rather than pork or beef.

Dean,

Redfish is not an oily fish. It is part of the 'drum' family and is fairly mild. For a mild fish in your area, I'd talk to a local fish monger. Most people like salmon, which is an excellent fish to smoke. Mullet? Here in TX, mullet is used for bait. I've heard of people eating it, but I've never tried it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> then you need to use a fish with the skin on so it doesn't fall apart on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan, good point. Most fish will flake when they are cook, but the skin will help keep it together. I didn't move these filets while smoking. They were smoked skin side down and were very easy to handle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
Ok, I'm hungry!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X2

Looks great I will have to try that we catch alot of reds here in jacksonville.

Smoked mullet is great also. We also eat it fried for breakfest.

Paul, that looked great!! I was almost sold on doing my first brisket cook this weekend, but now I might move over to some Salmon instead!

How long would you say those shrimp stayed in the WSM?? I'm sure its not long, but knowing me sometimes with something as quick and easy as shrimp, I'd be lifting that lid every 5-10 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How long would you say those shrimp stayed in the WSM?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, the shrimp were on for only a few minutes. I didn't smoke them, I grilled them. When the redfish was ready, I removed the middle section completely (I've mounted handles) and placed my top grate directly above the charcoal ring. This provided very hot grill temps. I moved the shrimp (on skewers) back and forth from the direct hot zone to the indirect zone (beyond the ring). You can use this high temp grilling set up for many foods (think steak!). If you experience flair-ups, merely put the lid on. With the lid on, the set up looks like a ball.

Jim,
The trip was fantastic! We were there the week before Dolly hit!! Talk about good timing. We limited out everyday on trout. Only picked up a few reds and 1 monster crevalle jack. Some of the guys went out to the jetties and met up with a shrimper who they traded beer for shrimp and crab. What the shimpers said they'd really like is milk! The shrimp was huge and of course very fresh. We had that 1 night as an appetizer.

For breakfast, I just ended up doing the basic biscuit/egg/ham sandwich. In the end, I didn't have time to prepare anything in advance, but the sammies were fine.

Paul

That is good timing, glad it went well. I can only dream of limiting on anything except hardheads.
icon_wink.gif
Now that I have a dehooker even that is not a problem anymore.

Pic look great, and sounds like it tasted as good as it looked. I have some cedar planks in the cellar waiting for some Salmon. Guess I better get to it!

Back