EZ-Que Rotissarie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone used a EZ-Que rotissarie on their weber? I'm thinking about getting one. Not sure if I should get a 6" basket or a 8" basket.

Hi Dave, I have the ez que system with both the 6 and 8 inch baskets.

The 6 inch basket gets used far more. I do chicken on it about once a week. I can fit a few chickens at a time. I have also done smaller rib roasts on it and back ribs. The back ribs are definately something to try!

The 8 inch basket I use about once or twice a month when doing a whole sirloin tip or something along those lines. Some have also done turkey on the 8 inch. I believe it will hold up to a 14 pound turkey.

Anyways hope this helps. If you need any more info just let me know and welcome!

Clark

Thanks Clark,
If I buy the 8 inch, will I be able to do small thins like game hens or chicken pieces and things like that? 99 percent of the time it's only my wife and I so I don't want to make huge amounts of food. A whole chicken or small turkey or ham are about the biggest thing I would cook. I want the option to do big and small cooks without buying both.

Dave - I just received mine a couple weeks ago. Went through the same process as you. And pretty much just my wife and I as well. But I get asked to cook for family functions too, and when the kids visit I get busy ;-)

So I simply bought the kit with both 6 and 8 so when I decided to cook that ham or turkey I would still have the option to use the rotie.

Not that much more in the long run. All of the rotie kits for the Weber come with the same motor (50lb cap) which is nice. You can always add the 8" optional rack later.

Dave, I'll take a look at it and see tonight. I honestly haven't tried but my gut would tell me you could probably use the bigger one and still secure the meat. I'll let you know!

Clark

O.K. verdict is stick to the small one. You can secure a chicken in the larger one but it's not ideal. No way to do ribs or anything smaller like that though. I usually only cook for my wife and myself as well so I see where your coming from. Unless you get both I would go with the 6.

Clark

Thanks a million Clark,
I guess the 6' will do. If I can get a decent size bird or roast on it then I shouldn't have a problem.

You can definately get a good size on their. Also it will hold multiple items if you prefer to go that way. I definately think your making the cright choice!

Clark

I have the 8" and cook ribs, smaller chickens, etc on it even smaller tenderloins (2 lbs), the only thing I haven't done is chicken pieces but I'm sure that can be done as well.

Now I'm really confused
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Dave L.:
Now I'm really confused
icon_eek.gif

Get BOTH. Hehe, now I wish I did. There's times when I am entertaining and take off the rotiss spit off and man those things get HOT and then would want to put more stuff on but need to take whatever I have off first, clean, then put other food on all with a very hot spit. If I had an extra 6 incher that wouldn't be a big deal since it'd just be remove bigger spit, place new spit and go. OH, you might also want to get the battery operated unit. Have been using mine since I got it and still am using the original batteries I installed.

Adrian

I got the 6" EZ Que for Christmas for my Weber Performer. Even though I sent the link to my wife for the 8" as a hint...<sigh> I guess I will have to order an 8" in time for summer.

I have used it twice now and I have found it to be relatively easy to use. I made a 6lb bone in prime rib on Christmas day which turned out great. Very simple, olive oil,kosher salt and black pepper. I was amazed at the amount of shrinkage of the beef during the process. Of course, it was done a lot quicker than I expected and we had to hurry up the other foods we were preparing.

I made the Huli Huli Chicken recipe that came with the EZ Que and it was fantastic. I realized at how well designed the basket and the hooks were. There is a long side hook and short side. The long side does a great job holding in the legs of the whole chicken.

CLEANING TIP-the first time I cleaned it was a royal pain. I scrubbed with the a brillo pad and thought that this was not good. The second time I used Dawn Power Dissolver. After the basket cooled, I sprayed it with the Power Dissolver and placed it in the dishwasher. After the cycle, I opened the door and it was as clean as when it came out of the box.

To date I have had no troubles with the cleanup. After I take the food off I keep the ez que in the Weber close the lid and let it cook at high temps for another 30 minutes or so then let it cool down. After it's cool I just scrape with my grill scraper and everything comes right off. Then I just take inside for a quick cleanup with soap and water. Aren't things NOT supposed to stick to stainless as much? That's what I've found with mine and I tend to use a lot of recipes that include sugar (be it honey, molasses, etc) and that usually is very hard to clean on other surfaces.

Adrian

Bought the 6 and 8 kit. Have used both. 8 inch for cooking a couple of ducks, 10 lb lamb roast, 12 lb turkey, etc. 6 inch for chickens and smaller stuff. Buy both also gets you extra clamps and handle. I don't think buying just the 8 inch would create to much of a problem clamping smaller items.

For clean up I do remove, spray with Dawn Power Dissolver and let sit for a while. No problems. I do clean the SS ring as well (a lot of people don't bother). Non abrasive after spray and soak. Overall - cleaning up after the rotie is a lot less effort than cleaning up after grilling or smoking.

I love the whole set up. Especially the 50lb motor. No weights required.

Ray

I have a Genesis Gold gasser and the EZ-que that fits that grill just fits in the lower section of the container below. I fill it with soapy water, rotiss my chickens or whatever, and drop it into the bucket while we're eating or overnight or until I run the dishwasher that evening. The basket and clamps always come out spotless.

http://tinyurl.com/3c3mtu

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back