Perfect Peanut Butter Pie

Kirk Hetzel

TVWBB Fan
Here's my wife Susan's recipe for peanut butter pie that took first (perfect 180) in dessert at Libertyville, IL.

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 8oz brick cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla (the real stuff please)
1 pint heavy cream (whipped to stiff peaks)
12 peanut butter cups, chopped
1 Oreo cookie crust
Extra whipped cream to serve with

Cream the peanut butter and powdered sugar. Add the cream cheese and mix well.
Add the vanilla to the cream and whip to stiff peaks.
Fold in the whipped cream in to the peanut butter mixture in three additions.
Fold in the chopped peanut butter cups, just enough to combine.
Spoon mixture into the Oreo crust.
Cool until ready to serve. Top each slice with more whipped cream and a mini peanut butter cup.

Kirk
Bunsen Burners

Yep - this sure is a winner. Gotta ask, how pronounced is the cream cheese flavor. My wife really despises cream cheese. I'm wondering if I make this without her knowledge if she'd detect it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe McManus:
Yep - this sure is a winner. Gotta ask, how pronounced is the cream cheese flavor. My wife really despises cream cheese. I'm wondering if I make this without her knowledge if she'd detect it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

I don't think it's too bad. It is a little bit like a cheese cake but there is so much sugar and peanut butter in there that I think she would probably go for it.

Kirk

An apptly named dessert :D
My wife did a slightly modified version of this and took first this past weekend with a 180 at Smokin' Red Dirt BBQ in Enid OK.:cool:

Well I made this last night and my wife said "OMG,OMG,OMG, this is a religious experience". She said it is now one of her top five favorite desserts.

And Joe, I do not think your wife will know that cream cheese is in the recipe. The pie is much lighter than I expected.

BTW, the recipe made enough for two pies - I had to run to the store and get a second Oreo cookie crust.

Thanks Kirk.

Ray

I made this last Sunday - it was really good. I walked out of the store without a premade pie crust, went back in and couldn't find an Oreo one so I went with graham cracker. I think the oreo crust would've made it even better. One piece of advice I'd say is I cut each PB cup into 9 pieces (I chilled them first in the freezer for a few+ minutes), I'd say cut them into 4-6 pieces each. It only made enough for one pie shell for me....

lint,

Glad you enjoyed it. I also cut the candy into smaller pieces but forgot to mention that in my post. I will have to make this again soon.

Ray

well, I have to say I just got around to trying this pie. I will always try making something instead of buying it so in regards to the crust, I made my own. With a twist :)

For a 8-9" crust, I would use ~24 oreo cookies ground up in the processor and add 1/4 cup unsalted butter to help firm it up. For variety, I made half and half chocolate oreo crust and vanilla oreo crust--a half moon of vanilla on one side and half moon chocolate oreo on the other. After tasting the end product, I prefer the vanilla as it seems to lend itself to the overall "vanilly-ness" of the pie.

Also, I abhor reese p.b. cups. The chocolate, well, it's not really chocolate and the p.b. has got so much sugar in it to hide it's flavour, it crunches. PB should not crunch (unless it's "crunchy style"). So, instead I mixed 1/4 C of pure mini chocolate chips (so you don't have to chop them up) into the mixture.

Topped it off with shhhhh-canned whip cream :rolleyes: and a marachino cherry.

Well. I have to say this is one of the most addictive desserts I have ever had. Like Lays chips, you can't eat just one (slice).

The p.b filling is both light and creamy but also quite filling (as is most cheesecake recipes). The p.b. flavour is very much "muted" (you know it's there but it doesn't slap you in the face) and the cream cheese is just the perfect ingredient. I don't know how one can not like it as by itself, it doesn't really have a lot of flavour.

It's when it's combined with other ingredients that it lends the end product a special texture and hint of flavour.

If you haven't tried this yet, do so. You will be truly amazed at how addictive it is.

p.s.--it makes enough for one 8-9" pie (my experience).

Last edited:
well, I have to say I just got around to trying this pie. I will always try making something instead of buying it so in regards to the crust, I made my own. With a twist :)

For a 8-9" crust, I would use ~24 oreo cookies ground up in the processor and add 1/4 cup unsalted butter to help firm it up. For variety, I made half and half chocolate oreo crust and vanilla oreo crust--a half moon of vanilla on one side and half moon chocolate oreo on the other. After tasting the end product, I prefer the vanilla as it seems to lend itself to the overall "vanilly-ness" of the pie.

Also, I abhor reese p.b. cups. The chocolate, well, it's not really chocolate and the p.b. has got so much sugar in it to hide it's flavour, it crunches. PB should not crunch (unless it's "crunchy style"). So, instead I mixed 1/4 C of pure mini chocolate chips (so you don't have to chop them up) into the mixture.

Topped it off with shhhhh-canned whip cream :rolleyes: and a marachino cherry.

Well. I have to say this is one of the most addictive desserts I have ever had. Like Lays chips, you can't eat just one (slice).

The p.b filling is both light and creamy but also quite filling (as is most cheesecake recipes). The p.b. flavour is very much "muted" (you know it's there but it doesn't slap you in the face) and the cream cheese is just the perfect ingredient. I don't know how one can not like it as by itself, it doesn't really have a lot of flavour.

It's when it's combined with other ingredients that it lends the end product a special texture and hint of flavour.

If you haven't tried this yet, do so. You will be truly amazed at how addictive it is.

p.s.--it makes enough for one 8-9" pie (my experience).

Yours sounds good! Hard to believe how much sugar & crunched up graham crackers go into a little pb cup peanut butter....

I'd eat this more often if...................... I'd sure like to eat this once in a while :)

Len - sounds like you really transformed the pie. Love your thought about the vanilla cookies - will try that.

Ray

Len - sounds like you really transformed the pie. Love your thought about the vanilla cookies - will try that.

Ray

If you make your own crust (do so 2 hours or so BEFORE making the filling so it can firm up in the fridge), after mixing and forming in the pan, put it in the fridge for a couple hours so the butter can "solidify" the crust, then put the filling in and refrigerate again so that part firms up.

Back