Focaccia Dough Pan Pizza

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Lastnight I made up the Focaccia dough from American Pie and placed it into a rectangle container. I bought this container just for Focaccia. Trust me, it's esier to work out rectangle shape dough in a rectangle pan verses trying to work out a ball of round dough in a rectangle pan.
icon_wink.gif
I let it come up to room temp for about 1.5 hrs in the container. Dump it out so it's centered in the pan that has a even coat of crisco shortening all over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Using your finger tips gently push it out in a pan. Do this gently so you keep as much rise in the dough as possible. Normaly after doing this I would let it rise till the dough almost reached the top of the pan if I was making Focaccia. I just wanted a pan pizza so I didn't let it rise at all. Preheated the oven to 425 and began to sauce the dough, grate the cheese and top it with a few roni.
icon_biggrin.gif

Placed the pan on one notch below center of oven and cooked for 12 min. After 12 min pull it out, spin it 180 and put it on the middle rack for another 10 min. At this point check for doneness and spin again if putting the pizza back in the oven. I usually have to cook it for a toatal of 25-26 min. Todays pie was cooked for 25 min. Link to pics shows the dough right before going into the pan, sauced skin, cheeses on board and some roni. Last couple are right out of the oven let sit for 1 min and slide it out on to cookie cooling racks so it doesn't get soggy. and a pic of a slice.
Link to Focaccia Pizza Dough Pics.

That looks seriously awesome man. What was the hydration of the dough? How long did you ferment?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
That looks seriously awesome man. What was the hydration of the dough? How long did you ferment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Phil, Hydration is wet and sticky, my guess is 70% or higher. It's from Reinhart's book "American Pie" never ran the numbers. It's just an over night ferment in the fridge then let rise for 2 hrs at room temp, then push it out on the pan and let rise till it gets to the top of the pan. I shortened the first rise because of making pan pizza dough and didn't do the second rise. I didn't want the big 2" rise you get when making Focaccia.

Off the top of my head.
26 ozs bread flour
2.5 cups cold water. I use room temp
2 tsp kosher salt. I used 1 tsp of hickory salt and 1 tsp sea
2.5 tsp or 1 packet of yeast
1/4 cup olive oil I used Hellas Greek EVOO, the sister oil to Morea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used Hellas Greek EVOO, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your thoughts on that...?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used Hellas Greek EVOO, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your thoughts on that...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's nothing like Morea, but I do enjoy it. It worked well in the pizza dough, also great for dipping bread in. It's very green and has a good semi strong olive taste but smooth, it's not at all bitter. Doesn't have the strong buttery notes like Morea. If I could find another tin of it I would buy it.
icon_wink.gif

Back