Indirect on the 22.5 Kettle

Chris Bufalini

Hey guys, have been using the WSM for most cooks. I would like to try chicken halves on the kettle. I just got the charcoal rails and will cook indirect. I'm just wondering what method to use for firing up the charcoal. Do you use the minion method? Also what kind of temps can I target and how long is the burn. Thanks in advance for the info.

buff

I do this quite often and simply fire up the charcoal in a chimney starter (I use the Weber chimney). I fill it up about 3/4 full (1/2 full is probably enough) and wait until the coals on the top start to ash over. There is no need to use the minion method for this type of cook because you will get plenty of burn time for chicken halves. Empty half of the coals on each side with a drip pan in the middle. I target between 375 - 400 degrees to get crisp skin but you can cook lower (325 - 350) if you prefer. I use a handful of soaked wood chips on each side and total cook time is usually 45 - 60 minutes depending upon the temperature, size of the chicken, etc. Check the meat temps and target about 165 in the breast and 180 in the thigh. You will get well over an hour of burn time from the charcoal. A simple way to prepare the chicken is to marinate in italian dressing. Perhaps put some rub on before you put it on the grill. Good luck and enjoy.

Last, first: The burn time is dependent on how much fuel you use and whether or not it is all lit but for chicken halves it's long enough as Rich notes.

I routinely get temps of well over 400 and get them with less lump quicker than if using the WSM. For this reason I use the kettle much more often for chicken than the WSM--I like high-heat chicken.

If doing chicken halves or pieces I do not fire with the MM. I fill a chimney with lump and let it get going good about half way up the chimney (flames out the top). I split this between the sides (going back and forth to even out the partially-lit and lit distribution between the sides), put the grate on, let the fuel finish lighting, add the wood, if using, and the chicken and we're off. This gives me the high temps I seek.

On whole chicken or turkey cooks I will somewhat MM the start so the the rise is more gentle. For chicken, I will start with 1/2 baskets of unlit on each side, top with 1/2 lit and pretty much get the chicken right in there. Temps will still get fairly high (I want this) but the time is extended. I do this with large chickens, not 3-4-pounders. Those I cook as noted first. Turkeys I do more like a MM with full baskets of unlit and a few lit on top and know I will be adding unlit later.

In all cases I use the lower vents to regulate airflow/temp if needed.

Everything else applies, i.e., I prefer brined birds--whole, halved or cut up--and find a good air-drying session in the fridge beneficial. Alternatively, a marinade can work well as Rick suggests. I make mojo often or piri-piri marinade and really like both.

Because basting can be effective on fowl I often do, but this depends on how I've prepped the chicken, what pieces/parts I am using and what sort of finish I want.

Have fun Chris.

Thanks for the info guys. Just put the rails in the kettle and will try a chicken tomorrow. Say if I wanted to do something like a pork loin, how is it to control temp on the kettle and can I keep it going fairly steady by adding charcoal. Thanks again in advance.

buff

I frequently do pork tenderloins on the kettle. Bank coals or lump on one side, sear both sides of meat direct, move to opposite to finish. I use an instant therm and pull around 140. I don't believe you'll need to adjust for temp.

Paul

For a pork loin I put coals on both sides, roast in the middle. I start either with all lit--a moderate amount--put the pork on and then add a few unlit later, once or twice depending on size of the loin, or I MM it. Pork loins don't take all that long. I pull in the 140s as well. Something big and thick like a fresh ham I Minion and add unlit, a few per side every hour or so. Toward the end I crank it up if necessary for color/texture.

The big deal with larger roasts is not to let the heat get away from you. Don't have lots of lit going with open lower vents or plenty of lit with unlit on top with open lower vents. Having no more than a moderate amount of lit allows lower vent adjustments to actually be meaningful and makes (roughly) maintaining a cook temp fairly easy. The biggest mistake people make when cooking roasts on a kettle is having too much lit. The biggest mistake people make when grilling on a kettle is having not enough lit. Go figure.

I would cook the chicken directly! leave some space in-between the coals, (don't load it up!)

close bottom vents half way, focus on browning and turn often, then when browned, about 20 minutes, put lid on with top and bottom vents closed hald way.

Makes way good chicken!

Back