Instant read Thermometers

Do any of you guys use a no expensive instant read thermometer? I was looking at some of them at walmart and was thinking about buying one. There is no way i could justify spending 90 bucks on Thermapen. I am already getting the maverick et-732 for xmas but i wanted something on head to just check the meat normally.

What do you guys use?

I have a little blue CDN pocket themo that i really like. When i first found this site someone ( i think it was Kevin Kruger) had a link where you could fax to a restaurant supply and get a price on one, so i did. I have since purchased a thermapen, but still like that CDN. Durable and fits in your pocket.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike_L (Big Mike):
Do any of you guys use a no expensive instant read thermometer? I was looking at some of them at walmart and was thinking about buying one. There is no way i could justify spending 90 bucks on Thermapen. I am already getting the maverick et-732 for xmas but i wanted something on head to just check the meat normally.

What do you guys use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a ThermoWorks RT301WA. A third of the price and takes just a few seconds longer.

Fr a couple of years I used a $10 one from Target and it worked fine. At least until my daughter stuck it in a pork loin and left it. The plastic head melted... I now use a $15 weber one that works fine also, although it is a little slower.
I firmly believe that thermometer is a very valuable tool. The expensive ones my be nice but the cheaper ones will still get the job done.

Mike

I have a little black CDN that started reading about 20° F low and led me astray when cooking my Thanksgiving turkey.
icon_mad.gif
A new battery made no difference and it has no capability to calibrate. (*)

I have a "Taylor 806E4L Weekend Warrior Waterproof Digital Thermometer" on my Christmas list (to back up my ET-73.) The Taylor can be recalibrated should the need arise.

(*) The moral of this story I suppose is that you should check calibration on your thermometers on a regular basis using boiling water.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Hinton:
Add me to the ThermoWorks RT301WA users. It does a fine job, and it's fast enough for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the Thermoworks RT600, which works great, but hindsight says I should have gotten the RT301. Having a slightly larger LCD display makes it easier to read in low-light conditions, and I think I like the straight-on design better than the display that has to be read from the right hand side only.

I have a Taylor instant read digital that works great also, and is only a tenth or two off the Thermoworks when tested in boiling water and ice water too.

Not sure if I really need a Thermopen or not, but I still want one.

Welcome to the forum Big Mike.

I bought the CDN DTQ450X ProAccurate Quick-Read Thermometer from Amazon about a year ago, and it works great! It has a reduced tip probe, so you get your temp reading in about 5-6 seconds. Although I have never had to, it is easily recalibrated too. Cost is only about $17 on Amazon right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul R:
I have a little blue CDN pocket themo that i really like. When i first found this site someone ( i think it was Kevin Kruger) had a link where you could fax to a restaurant supply and get a price on one, so i did. I have since purchased a thermapen, but still like that CDN. Durable and fits in your pocket.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same one Paul's talking about. It's made by Fluke, and outstanding for 1/4th the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Comark-P...id=1323042603&sr=8-1

Used the blue thermometer yesterday and saw that is was the Comark Jon. This has been a workhorse and built solid. Auto shut off works for me too. A quick search here and i found the link that Kevin had posted and it is priced about the same as amazon.

Paul

Just amortize the cost over the number of uses. I had a cheap thermometer and my wife and I used it maybe 5 times a year. Now with the thermopen we use it 2 times a week. It is really convenient and not that expensive if you get your use out of it.

chad

Sometimes speed does matter, for example sticking your hand inside an oven to get a temp reading. With my Thermapen, the readings are fast and accurate so I can get my arm out of the oven quickly. It not only keeps my arm from getting burned, but won't require the oven door to stay open long and lose heat. A quick read also lets me get my lid back down on my smokers or grills. If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.
I know its a hard pill to swallow looking at a $95 dollar probe. However, after hundreds upon hundreds of uses, mine still works like a new one. Guess you get what you are willing to pay for in the long run.

So i was at a New Years Eve party and we were frying food but no one had a thermometer on them. So one of the guys there said he thought he had one in his car. (He is a manager at a restaurant.) He came out with a new Comark Digital Thermometer PDT300. He tested the food and i told him that i was going to be buy that one. He said i could just have this one, its brand new.

I said thanks and took it off his hands. I know it was only 25 bucks but still free is better!

I've gone to the dark side.

Got a Thermapen for Christmas.
icon_cool.gif

There are still good, inexpensive instant read thermos out there. You just have to look around a little to find them.

Here is an article on instant read thermometers. Thermometer

The thermapen is a different class of thermometer compared to $10-20 instant read. When you want to purchase a car ($20k-40k) you don't ask yourself 'What aspects of this car are comparable to a Ferrari?'. The lower cost thermometers use a different technology to measure temperature. Durability and water resistance is important in choosing one these thermometers. Choose one of the higher rated ones and you should be fine.

If you plan on cooking alot, there will be times when the $10-20 thermometer just isn't fast enough. Many WSM/tvwb fans believe 'Get the best, cry once'. I've cried twice, I own a WSM and a thermapen.

Back