Rib Rub

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My rub recipe from last night's ribs. Served with Kinda Carolina sauce on the side...

This makes just enough for 3 racks of spares. I don't mix salt into my rib rubs. I sprinkle Kosher salt generously on the rack first, then apply the rub over it.

1/4 c sugar
1/4 c ground Ancho chili powder
1/4 c paprika
1 Tbl ground cumin
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbl green peppercorns, crushed
1 Tbl ground white pepper
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger

Dry the ribs and sprinkle salt on them. Apply the rub. I do this when I am starting the coals and let them sit on the counter till the coals are ready then smoke low and slow. Last night's were with hickory--took about 6 hours in the WSM--then I double-wrapped them in heavy duty foil and rested them an hour. Delicious.

My rub recipe from last night's ribs. Served with Kinda Carolina sauce on the side...

This makes just enough for 3 racks of spares. I don't mix salt into my rib rubs. I sprinkle Kosher salt generously on the rack first, then apply the rub over it.
I will try this satruday. thanks

1/4 c sugar
1/4 c ground Ancho chili powder
1/4 c paprika
1 Tbl ground cumin
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp cayenne
2 Tbl green peppercorns, crushed
1 Tbl ground white pepper
1 tsp celery seed
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger

Dry the ribs and sprinkle salt on them. Apply the rub. I do this when I am starting the coals and let them sit on the counter till the coals are ready then smoke low and slow. Last night's were with hickory--took about 6 hours in the WSM--then I double-wrapped them in heavy duty foil and rested them an hour. Delicious.

Brightness. Its immaturity gives it high taste notes, imo, that help support the higher tones of the celery and the ginger which together offer a counterpoint to the deeper notes of the rest of the ingredients. That's my intent anyway. If you get some greens and make this you can see if you agree.

Imo, green pepper's brightness isn't lost with the prolonged cooking of low/slow nor with the high heat of direct grilling. Since both techniques caramelize (increasing depth) it's a way to add a little something to the other side of the flavor scale.

Kevin,

I picked up some greens today and put the rub together. WOW What a great smell!! I will put it to use this Saturday on some B.B .

I think I will try a sweet black cherry sauce with this rub, hickory and apple for the smoke...Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

My pleasure. I'm so glad you liked it.

Sorry I missed the post above. It would be good with a cherry sauce. Did you use that or something different?

Kevin,

I used a sweet cherry sauce. I like my sauce a little sweeter than some , so I made your cherry sauce with some honey and brown sugar karo added. I got too much chipotle in the mix so I cut it with some K C Masterpiece. In the end , everybody loved it. I think I will play with this mix some more.

Thanks for all the great ideas ,

Rick

I cooked this recipe today. It was very good but the final flavor left me with a question. With all the spicy, hot elements Why was the final product not hot? Do the red, green, white peppers and ginger just lose their heat in this type of cook?
The dipping sauce was the salvation of the cook. the ribs just seemed to lose most of the potential flavor. How do you make ribs come out with the zing still there?

wandering what benifit resting ribs for an hour offers. that was new to me. the rub sounds great, and i'll give it a shot sometime. thanks

Just wondering what if anything everyone is using for a finishing sauce with this one? I know it is rather simplistic but I was thinking a cup of boiling water with 1/4 cup of rub. Any ideas? Thanks!

Clark

What are you rubbing?

In any case, water and rub don't work well.

Dan-- The hour was just because we weren't ready to eat.

I use this, worked in a few T at a time whilst pulling.

You can use sauce cut with juice, water or vin, if you prefer. Get a little fat in there though.

Kevin, i'm doing the low carb thing. what kind of sugar did you use and do you think splenda granular would ruin the rub?

thanks for the quick reply kevin. i think if i decide to make this tomorrow i'll just live dangerously and use white sugar. i have everything but the celery seeds and the green peppercorns here. my homemade sauce is made with sugar free ketchup and splenda so i won't feel too guilty about the rub. i use dizzy pig stuff too and they use turbinado sugar.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i'm doing the low carb thing. what kind of sugar did you use and do you think splenda granular would ruin the rub?
Tony, You can use Splenda for the rub, no problem.

i made up a batch last night with regular sugar. i thought all i was missing was the green peppercorns and the celery seeds which i bought. i didn't notice the ground white pepper in the recipe until i started preparing it so i used black. i have two 3.8 racks of spares trimmed St. louis style in the fridge along with the trimmings waiting to be rubbed.

edit... great rub kevin, thanks for sharing.

Kevin, could I substitute cardamom for these ingredients, and how much would you use? I've come to love cardamom.

1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger

Back