Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note from Keri - if the recipe comes from Chez John, then you can depend on it! I know of several competitiors that are using this recipe with their pulled pork turn-ins and having great success with it.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Awesome Keri! I've been looking for something new, this is just the ticket.
icon_wink.gif

I just made a batch of this up. It's bottled up and cooling down. First taste was WOW! that's got a nice bite and twang to it. IMO it will go real well with the 4 Butts I did yesterday for my Nephews grad party this coming Saturday. Thanks for posting the recipe Keri.
icon_cool.gif

My changes to the recipe. I tried to keep it spicey but not hot for the 35-40 guests at the party. Came out just perfect, right in the middle.
1 TBS salt
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 TBS Aleppo instead of flakes
1/2 TBS Chipotle

Does the brown sugar make it sweet or is it neutralized with the vinegar? This looks good but I am not into sweet BBQ.

Originally posted by David Payne:
Does the brown sugar make it sweet or is it neutralized with the vinegar? This looks good but I am not into sweet BBQ.
David, This sauce is not sweet at all.

I am making this sauce at the moment. How thick should it get, because it seems very runny. A strong smell of vinegar too... Not tasted it yet.

Originally posted by Simon Payne:
I am making this sauce at the moment. How thick should it get, because it seems very runny. A strong smell of vinegar too... Not tasted it yet.
Simon, I only simmer for about 15-20 min. It's a runny sauce. It's not sup to be thick like a sweet ketchup based sauce.

Thanks Bryan. It tastes good now - once I realised that I forgot to add the lemon juice!!

I made it to go with a pork butt that I'm doing tomorrow - what do I do with the sauce? SHould it be like a dipping sauce? Should it be poured on top of the pork in a bun? Or should the sauce be mixed into the pulled pork?

Thanks

Simon, I use it just like a regular BBQ sauce. I pile the PP on a bun, then add the sauce to your liking. As thin as it is, yes you can/could mix some in with the rub when you are pulling the pork. FYI, I always add some of the same rub that I used on the butt in with the pork when pulling for more flavor.

I love this sauce. So does everyone that I introduce it to. I originally knew I had to try it since "Chez" John is from Topeka where I live. Thanks for posting it Keri.

How long is the shelf life on this sauce? The last batch I made was right before memorial day. I have almost a quart left that has been refrigerated since I made it but worry about how long it keeps. I just gave it the sniff test, all you can smell is the vinegar. I'd hate to serve it and make the whole campout ill.

Thanks

Originally posted by Mark:
How long is the shelf life on this sauce? The last batch I made was right before memorial day. I have almost a quart left that has been refrigerated since I made it but worry about how long it keeps. I just gave it the sniff test, all you can smell is the vinegar. I'd hate to serve it and make the whole campout ill.

Thanks

If that gets them sick then I am screwed. I have kept mine outside the frig. for over 10 months without any issues whatsoever. Frankly, I can't eat pulled pork without it.

Erik

I had made a bunch up earlier in the year and kept it refrigerated. When I used it last month, I found that the vinegar was really overpowering and the taste was just a little bit "off". It won't make people ill but I like it a lot better fresh or a little aged.

Bob

Im going to do some canning later this fall. Do you think this sauce will lend itself to that or will it be fine just put up in jars?

As much vinegar as is in it, you could get by with a boiling water bath rather than having to pressure can it. I wouldn't just put it in jars and store them without at least a water bath treatment, though.

Keri C

I have made this sauce a few times and it's great. Any suggestions/preferences on a rub that pairs well with this sauce on a pork butt?

I always make pork butt using the Southern Succor rub found on the cooking topics under the Renowned Mr Brown. Does it get any better than that?

Is 2 Tablespoons correct? That seem like alot of salt. Is so, how salty does this turnout?

Simmering a batch of this now. It's quite hot. I couldn't find Chipotle Powder, and used Chipotle Chile Pepper instead. Could that be the reason?

Back