Kalua Pig (Hawaiian Luau)

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
We'll have to compare this with Conchinita Pibil. And it's Kalua, not the beverage.
icon_wink.gif

Rita
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KALUA PIG (Hawaiian Luau)

Makes 10–12 servings. No survey of regional American barbecued pork would be complete without Hawaii’s kalua pig. If you’ve ever been to a luau, you’ve probably sampled this porcine masterpiece, with meat moist as stew and tender enough to eat with your fingers (which, of course, is what you’re meant to do). To achieve this, Hawaiians have traditionally cooked whole pigs underground in pits. A similar effect can be achieved by wrapping a pork shoulder in banana leaves and grilling it using the indirect method.
“Being a nut for flavor, I like to place sliced onion, ginger, and garlic between the pork and the banana leaves. But for most Hawai-ians, less is more when it comes to preparing this classic dish; they use only salt and, perhaps, liquid smoke as seasonings.
“If you live in Hawaii or Florida, you may have banana trees growing in your garden, but don’t use leaves from a plant that’s been treated with pesticides. Frozen banana leaves can be found in Mexican, Caribbean, or Southeast Asian markets. If banana leaves aren’t available, you can wrap the pork shoulder in aluminum foil.” — Steven Raichlen

METHOD: Indirect grilling
ADVANCE PREPARATION: 12 hours for curing the pork

FOR THE PORK:
1 pork shoulder (5 to 7 pounds)
2 to 3 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 to 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons liquid smoke (optional)
2 banana leaves
1 medium-size onion, thinly sliced (optional)
1 piece (3 to 4 inches) fresh ginger (optional), peeled and thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic (optional), thinly sliced
Lime wedges, for serving

FOR SERVING, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
Taro root
Sweet potatoes
Butter
Buns or bread

4 1/2 cups (1 1/2 batches) Pineapple Barbecue Sauce (optional; page 293)
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m/9550067704

Passion Fruit Applesauce (optional; recipe follows)
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=98110183...050067704#4050067704

YOU’LL ALSO NEED:
Butcher’s string

1. Using a sharp knife, make 6 to 8 shallow (1/2-inch-deep) cuts running the length of the pork shoulder. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and liquid smoke, if using, all over the pork, patting them onto the surface of the meat and into the cuts with your fingertips.

2. Wrap the pork shoulder in the banana leaves: If using fresh banana leaves, soften them by holding them with tongs for a minute or so over the lit burner of your stove or over a lit grill. Let cool slightly, then place a banana leaf on your work surface. Put half of the on-ion, ginger, and garlic slices, if using, on the leaf toward the center. Place the pork shoulder in the center of the banana leaf on top of the onion, ginger, and garlic slices, if using, then place the remaining onion, ginger, and garlic slices on top of the pork. Draw the ends of the banana leaf up over the pork to enclose it. Place the banana leaf-wrapped pork on the second banana leaf so that the leaves are at a right angle to each other. Draw the second leaf up over the first and tie the leaves in place with butcher’s string. Place the wrapped pork in the refrigerator and let cure overnight.

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling (see page 22 for charcoal or page 23 for gas) and preheat to medium-low. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center.

4. When ready to cook, place the wrapped pork in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the pork until very tender, 5 to 6 hours.
To test for doneness, insert an instant-read meat thermometer through the banana leaves into the pork, but not so that it touches a bone—the internal temperature should be about 190°F.

5. Transfer the cooked pork to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes, then unwrap it, discarding the banana leaves and string. Tear the pork into chunks or shreds, discarding any bones or lumps of fat (you’ll probably want to wear latex gloves or even heavy-duty insulated rubber gloves to do this). Serve at once. The traditional Hawaiian accompaniment is sweet potatoes and poi (puréed taro root). You can roast taro root and sweet potatoes in the embers, then peel the taro root and break open the sweet potatoes and serve both with butter. You could also serve the pork on buns or bread as a sandwich. Serve the Pineapple Barbecue Sauce and Passion Fruit Applesauce alongside.

Source: Raichlen, Steven. “BBQ USA” © 2003 Workman Publishing, ISBN 0-7611-2015-7 (page 252)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Rita, I'm proably way to late on this but if you do check this would there be any benefit to using wood? I would prefer this over the liquid smoke but would it penetrate the banana leaves? Probably not but here's to hoping! Also I think the link for the apple sauce is down, do you still have the recipe? Thanks!

Clark

I have done this a number of times now and have made some changes. Got some from a Sam Choy book and some just as I went. Instead of 6 cloves of garlic we use two heads put into individual cloves put in the slits in the meat. They basically end up like roasted garlic when you pull the meat it's great.

Instead of wrapping in banana leaves I put the leaves on top and underneath. It still imparts the same flavor but lets all the smoke in. I then eliminate the liquid smoke, onion, pepper, and ginger.

Instead of salt and pepper try to get hawaiian black lava salt and red clay salt (alae)both can be had from world spice. I coat the outside of the shoulder with a mix of the two.

Finally make a finishing sauce with two cups boiling water, a T of Garlic powder, 2 T ginger, and some more red clay salt.

Turns out really good

Clark

CROCK POT KALUA PIG

Pork butt or shoulder that fits in crock pot
2 cups Apple Cider or Pineapple Juice
1/2 tsp liquid smoke, hickory (optional)
salt to taste

Add apple cider or pineapple juice to crock pot.
Add liquid smoke. Mix well.
Add pork butt to crock pot.
Cook on low heat, with lid on, for 9 - 10 hours.
Take meat out of crock pot and shred.
Add salt to taste. Enjoy!

I pick up banana leaves in chineese markets, usually with the frozen foods. They're dirt cheap. Or obviously if someone you knows grows them.

For substitutes you could go with ti leaves, lotus leaves, bamboo leaves or anything along those lines.

Clark

Probably I still don't go above 275 at the grate though and pull it off when it's tender. Anywhere between 190 and 210 internal. The amount of time is tough depending on the piece of meat but really your normal times will still apply so about an hour and a half to two hours a pound.

Clark

This post refers to the "serve with any of the following....taro root" section.

Has anyone been to a Hawaiian luau?

OMG...I would move there if I wasn't married with kids...

I went to Maui...to this luau: http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html

The poi is made from taro root...and I must tell you....most of the "tourists" poo pooed the poi. But I, on the other hand, think it was the PERFECT compliment to the roast pig. But, of course, I am a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" kind of guy...It was very smokey pig and the poi offset the smokiness perfectly.

Anyone else had this experience?

If you are in your local Walmart in the spring and see "Elephants ear Caladium"...that is Taro...you can make poi out of it.

-Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert:
This post refers to the "serve with any of the following....taro root" section.

Has anyone been to a Hawaiian luau?

OMG...I would move there if I wasn't married with kids...

I went to Maui...to this luau: http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html

The poi is made from taro root...and I must tell you....most of the "tourists" poo pooed the poi. But I, on the other hand, think it was the PERFECT compliment to the roast pig. But, of course, I am a "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" kind of guy...It was very smokey pig and the poi offset the smokiness perfectly.

Anyone else had this experience?

If you are in your local Walmart in the spring and see "Elephants ear Caladium"...that is Taro...you can make poi out of it.

-Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lived in Hawaii...6 years in the military....pure heaven....to clarify what you said it is the ROOT of the elephant ear not the leaves.

P.S. I hated it, it reminded me of wall paper paste...only my opinion I have no doubt alot love it

You are right...wall paper paste but coupled with the smoked pork...I thought it was great!

I know this sounds wierd to most that haven't experienced it...LOL.

This brings back memories of my Hawaiian neighbors growing up. The would have Luau's all the time. The last one I remember going to, I was about 8 or 9 years old, and they let me turn the pig on the spit.

To be honest, early in the cook, it smells hideous. At least to an 8 year old. I still remember the size of that thing though. It was much bigger than me, and I was a big kid.

Still a big kid
icon_smile.gif

We went to Germaine's luau when we went to Oahu. What a great time! You'll get the same type of pork at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. If you go to the PCC, make your reservations for the evening show. There is some great fire dancing that probably wouldn't be as awesome in the daylight.

lived in hawaii for almost 18 years. hardly went to any luau's. kinda a tourist thing. most times it was just folks making all kinds of food and bringing it together like a big family gathering. one could use the term loosely to any big gathering but not that i was aware of and i hung with the locals. that being said, i still get my poi fix more than several times a year. usually with my lau lau.

Back