Order SJ Gold/Silver Mini WSM Parts from Amazon.com

Chris,
The "Additional Cooking Grate" link appears to be The Weber 7432 Cooking Grate listed on Amazon for the Smokey Mtn. meaning it would be too large for the Mini WSM. I could be wrong but please advise.

Thanks, Mike

Note from Moderator: Changed the link to the Weber 7431 cooking grate.

Chris:

Thanks for your post with instruction on building the Mini. Very well done and great photos.

For those wanting to build a Mini with two grates, suggest using the steamer insert that comes with the steamer. Just cut it down, by reducing the diameter so it will slide past the indented barrel, then placing it on the very bottom of the barrel. Then place the grease catcher on top of the cut down insert.You can then use another 14.5 grille, setting it on top of the belt, as the bottom grill.

LDW

Thank You!

Originally posted by Meho S:
Chris,
The "Additional Cooking Grate" link appears to be The Weber 7432 Cooking Grate listed on Amazon for the Smokey Mtn. meaning it would be too large for the Mini WSM. I could be wrong but please advise.

Thanks, Mike

Note from Moderator: Changed the link to the Weber 7431 cooking grate.

Originally posted by LDean:
For those wanting to build a Mini with two grates, suggest using the steamer insert that comes with the steamer. Just cut it down, by reducing the diameter so it will slide past the indented barrel, then placing it on the very bottom of the barrel. Then place the grease catcher on top of the cut down insert.You can then use another 14.5 grille, setting it on top of the belt, as the bottom grill.
How does that steamer insert hold up to the high heat coming off the hot coals with continued use? I was a little concerned about that.

I liked the idea of using a charcoal grate instead of the steamer insert thinking it might be more sturdy over the long term, and I like how the grate allows heat to pass through versus the perforated steamer insert, but of course you can't cut down a charcoal grate so it sits on the bottom of the pot unless you find a smaller diameter grate not made by Weber, which I think you did at one point. But I don't know if that's easy to find for most people.

Regards,
Chris

Chris: I have built several, and if using two cooking grills, my favored way to install an undersize 11.25"grill/grate on the very bottom of the cut out kettle. It must be of a smaller diameter than the 14.5" Weber grate,or the same size 18 inch Weber charcoal grate, so it will slip past the belt. Some stores sell a 11.25" China made accessory grill that is small enough to slip past the belt so you can set the grease catcher on it. I usually wire it to the bottom to keep it from moving. The cut down steamer insert also works fine and I usually drill more holes for better air flow. I am sure that the heat will weaken the temper, but is of no consequence as it supports little weight. To avoid the issue of cracking of the ceramic pot base, I am now using a 10.25" cast iron griddle, with the handle cut off, as the grease catcher. Of course, for those for those only wanting a single cooking level, the unmodified steamer rack, sitting on top of the belt, works fine, but can be modified by drilling additional holes in it for more air flow.

LDW

On mine, I found that an old SJ cook grate fit just fine. It is sitting on that ridge near the bottom. I have never had a problem with it shifting or moving. So save your old cook grates! I place my ceramic suacer on it as a heat sink. I think I would like to try a SS bowl, as even wrapped, the saucer absorbs any fat dripped onto it. I don't care how good you foil it, grease gets through.
Mini Grate

Chris, thank you for providing the list ( and links) of materials needed, I placed my order the other day and they should be today or tomorrow
icon_biggrin.gif

Chad A

If I order via the links at the top, does TVWBB get credit? Doh! Nebbermind, I reread the original post!

UpDate 09/06/2012 - Well, ordered a SJG through Amazon so you should get a bit of credit. Six or seven weeks and it will arrive. Hope it fairs well across the Pacific! I will see if I can find the pot for doing a conversion here.

Last edited:

Back