How to tell a whole Butt from a Half Butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Friends, how do you tell a whole butt from a half. I was at krogers today, and they had huge butts at about 6lbs. Then they have this other peice of meat that they called pork shoulder. I know this may seem crazy, but which one do you smoke to get great pulled pork. If this is a crazy question to you, please be gentle. I'm new to smoking. Thanks in advance. Steve

Its not a "crazy question." I had to ask the same question when I first got my WSM. A butt is a pork shoulder roast, sometimes called pork shoulder blade roast. A whole butt should weigh 6-8 lbs (on the average), a half butt would weigh 3-4 lbs. Look at the size and weight judge for yourself.

does a half-butt come with bone in? won't that make a difference? I have only done whole butt's (I think). But, everything I have read has said to check the looseness of the bone to tell when done. confused about this half-butt thing. Steve

Steve,

I have yet to buy a pork butt roast, half or whole, that did not have the bone in. When I order pork butt from Gordon Food Service I can get them either way, bone-in or boneless.

I always order bone-in. Don't know why, I guess it's the jiggling of the bone thing, just one way of telling you your butt is cooked...so to speak. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back