High Altitude Smoking

Wayne Lehman

New to the board and WSM. Took a BBQ Institute class last Sunday from Konrad Haskins, learned a lot, including that most everything I thought I knew and the equipment I had were wrong so got online as soon as I got home, ordered a 22" WSM from Amazon (thru this board) and it was at my house Tuesday evening. Going away this weekend but will do my first smoke Easter weekend.

May be a bit premature, but will be camping early July at just under 11,000 ft in Colorado. Would like to make room on my trailer to take the WSM. Does anyone have any experience using it at that altitude? Will I be able to cook high and fast, will I have trouble getting the temps up? I don't want to do any overnite due to bears. Have done some Dutch oven cooking up there that makes me royalty among my camping buddies. Some great smoked ribs or brisket at the campsite and I will ascend to god-like status.

I'm only at 6000 feet and I can't get the temps up with water in the pan so I'd plan to go with no water in the pan. I'm using regular K and the minion method of starting and use 3/4 chimney of fully lit on top of the unlit, vents wide open. Put meat on right after it's lit, otherwise temp drops too much and takes a while to come back up. Worked better second cook without water. Might consider using lump since it burns hotter. I'd also think of doing ribs or chicken since they cook time is a lot less than butt or brisket. and you won't have an oven for backup.

I'm a newby but that's my experience so far in CO.

Hey I need some serious good recipes and tips for dutch oven. I just got one to use camping this summer and it's hard to find any good tips or instruction.

A Guru jacket or homemade alternative could help a lot too. At 3500 ' I can use the jacket on a 18.5" WSM with no water and get close to 20 hours at 275ºF on a single load of charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Lehman:
New to the board and WSM. Took a BBQ Institute class last Sunday from Konrad Haskins, learned a lot, including that most everything I thought I knew and the equipment I had were wrong so got online as soon as I got home, ordered a 22" WSM from Amazon (thru this board) and it was at my house Tuesday evening. Going away this weekend but will do my first smoke Easter weekend.

May be a bit premature, but will be camping early July at just under 11,000 ft in Colorado. Would like to make room on my trailer to take the WSM. Does anyone have any experience using it at that altitude? Will I be able to cook high and fast, will I have trouble getting the temps up? I don't want to do any overnite due to bears. Have done some Dutch oven cooking up there that makes me royalty among my camping buddies. Some great smoked ribs or brisket at the campsite and I will ascend to god-like status. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have taken Kondrad's class as well and can tell you I struggled getting the temps to the levels Konrad uses the first time on my WSM. I would recommend using plenty of lit coals (at least one chimney) to start and realize the more meat, the harder it will be to get the temps to climb high.

I would light the WSM and let the temps get up there before putting the meat on realizing their going to drop with the fresh meat. I found it beneficial to leave the side door open to allow the air to keep the temps to Kondrad's levels, but I had both racks full of ribs and a pork butt. Leaving the lid off canter will work as well depending on how much help you need.

Good luck....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan D:
For an alternative take on the Dutch Oven, try these:
http://funkymunky.co.za/potjierecipes.html

Recipes from South Africa, ideal for a camping cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's some wacky set of recipes. But some great ideas in there.

Dealing with altitude just requires you to remember that fire needs oxygen. Obviously you will need to allow for more airflow then at lower altitudes. The WSM is built for controlling airflow so you may have to do some playing to get enough.

Definately look at running without water as this will mean you aren't heating water that can't get above 212.
Also look at bringing something to prop the door open a bit. Flip the door and just about anything can be used (i use a brick and bbq brush sometimes for high heat cooks).
You can also leave the lid slightly ajar.

Just remember that your fire has to breathe. Starting with a ton of lit will only help if it has the oxygen to stay lit.

As for animals.... not sure. I know they won't like the heat much, but i know i can't resist the smell of Q and have risked burns for a nice piece of bark mid smoke!! haha

Back