Nomex Tape Seal...

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
Well, I think I finally solved my lid and bottom seal problems. First, I got some nomex tape, cut it in half, lengthwise. I then applied it to the bottom of the center section right where the bowl lip would contact...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then I applied some tape to the upper rim of the center section right where the lid would rest...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
When it's all put together, it's amazing how different the WSM sounds when you tap on it...it really does sound tight. I'm anxious to try it out. I do have to get some double-stick tape, run a thin strip of it around the door opening and apply some foil to it. The nomex tape is too thick to use for this, as I already have the CB door and fitted it as best I could.
Do you think this will all work?

you'll soon find out! Lettuce know how it goes
icon_wink.gif

Could you give details on where you purchased this and the original width and length you purchased. Also what width you cut it down to in order for it to work for you. Any tips for the installation. Thanks for your help.

I got the nomex gasket tape from Amazon. It's plenty to do the whole job. I cut the tape in half lengthwise, which makes it about 3/8 wide. It's very sticky, so practice before u actually stick it down. I wouldn't use it on the door. I tried it and it was too thick for the door to close properly. How I sealed the door is another post. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I have a new 22 WSM and although I can control the temps even though the middle section is out of round, when I close all the intake and exhaust vents on mine after the cook is over, the charcoal does not extinguish based on the reduction in air intake and exhaust. My WSM will continue to burn the coals until they are all ash. My concern is leaving the unit unattended and still burning until all the coals burn up and turn to ash. I am wondering if sealing the WSM better will solve this problem or if this is considered normal.

Terry, I have the same issue. I'm kinda paranoid about leaving the coals burning as well. Someday, someone's WSM is going to catch something on fire and worse, cause harm to someone hours after the vents have been shut. I think only then will Weber do something about it.

My WSM is set up in an area that is relatively fire safe but not so kid safe so I would like to be able to shut the coals down within a reasonable amount of time by having the coals extinguish from a lack of oxygen.

I ordered the nomex tape seal from Amazon. Did you do anything to prep the areas of the WSM where you applied the seal like wipe it down with acetone and/or lightly scuff the porcelain with a 3m cleaning pad. The WSM you are working on in the photos looks almost new. Mine is already "seasoned". Thanks for your help on this. I am looking forward to any follow up posts from you on this mod as well as your plans for sealing the door better.

D Arita, Just wanted to say thanks for your help on this mod. I ended up running a nomex tape seal at the top of the center section where the lid sits, as well as on the arched portion of the door cutout/opening. The fit was tight enough between the center section and the bottom bowl that I did not need a seal there. Previously my WSM would run until all the coals turned to ash many hours later even with all the vents closed. I did a cook today and the coals were extinguished in a little under 2 hours after shutting all the vents down.

Glad to hear that! I didn't know for sure that I needed to seal the lower rim either, but I figured it had to be leaking there as well and I had enough Nomex to do it, so I did...and I'm glad I did.
This should give you more temp control as well. Good luck.

SO I got the tape and am trying it this weekend. Do you have any pics of the bottom and how you installed the tape there?

also hows it working now? Are the results there?

I don't have a good pic of it, but I'll try to explain it. The bottom rim of the center section has a bead that runs around it. Below the bead, there's a straight section that slips into the mating bottom bowl. The top bead of the bowl rests on the bead of the center section.
I cut the tape in half, lengthwise. I then installed the tape along the bottom edge of the center section bead, so that the top bead of the bowl would rest on it.
Hope that makes sense.

Ok, I am trying it tonight and here is what I think I am going to do. Let me know your thoughts before I tear into it.

1. I am going to clean it with acetone
2. I am going to cut and test a fit for the top section with the tape and install it around the middle on the interior of the center section.
3. For the bottom seal I am going to clean, fit and install it around the middle under the bead of the bottom (not on the bottom half dome where the charcoal is.

Is that right? Also, have you seen an improvement in the results?

Sounds right. Just be sure to cut the tape in half lengthwise, otherwise the tape will extend too far onto the straight part that fits into the bottom bowl. If that happens, it just won't fit into the bottom bowl. I know because I tried it.

I'm interested in how the no ex tape is holding up? Do you think a scrape old and replace with new should be done every few years? I know that nomex will deteriate and loose it's ability to with stand temps over long term. Just a thought before I try your mod.

Can't really tell you about the long run. I used it on my Primo XL as well and seem to be using that a lot more this summer. I've got maybe 15 cooks on it without anything but a color change. Maybe someone else has had it on longer than I. At any rate, I don't think there's a permanent fix here as any material will break down over time and temp extremes.

Back