Restoring old Weber Redhead Genesis 1000

Josh Jones

Hello!

I'm currently looking at restoring my first Weber bbq. My parents got it about 14-15 years ago and it was heavily used for quite sometime until they got divorced. When it was about 10 years old my mom decided to just give it to me, and I used it for a few years.

Unfortunately, about a month ago the main burner leaked propane and started flaming out of the main burner. This melted the ignition, 2/3 knobs, and a few other things. I would like to restore it because it really has some sentimental value but don't know if it's worth it. I called Weber and amazingly they still make parts for it, but it's looking like $185 for new parts shipped to my door which includes the following: Manifold w/hose & regulator, burner tubes, knobs, igniter, and new flavorizer bars. I personally can't afford to buy a new one for $500...plus I'm currently not working so it gives me something to do!

]

Now for the questions:

* Is there any way to re-coat/paint the inside of the flamebox? What's the easiest way to clean it? I've started wet-sanding the outside and will have it ready soon to paint with the hi-temp bbq paint.

* What can I do/use to replace the table? As long as I can remember it has never been there. Any recommendations?

Thank you all for the help, and will definitely keep it updated!

Josh

Josh great project love it when you keep them in the family.
Now do not paint the inside of the flame box not good for the food when cooking. Clean it well even as far as using Oven Cleaner, then wash with dish soap and rinse very well.
I am guessing you are talking about left hand side table? where you would put tools,food trays while cooking, if so you live in a great area to buy either redwood, or even better Western Red Cedar. with a oil finish would be great. They also make a optional swing up table extention that can almost double your shelf space.

Good luck Josh keep the photos coming. And welcome to the board.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. It's kinda fun to keep it in the family
icon_smile.gif
so that's why i figured I'd do it. I will definitely look into some of the Red Ceder for the table area, but how am i supposed to secure it? There is actually just bars there where the table used to be
icon_frown.gif

If I remember correctly that shelf is made out of a piece of U or L channel so what you would do is, if it's made of a U channel measure the inside diameter and get wood that will fit inside of that area,it doesn't have fit tight then it should have holes predilled in the top of that piece of metal. Now if it has a L channel do the same thing only make the wood fit even with the channel. Secure the wood with stainless steel hardware as they will not stain the Cedar. or Redwood. Hope this makes sense, if not send me a email it is in my profile.

Josh, The tables are held in place with a "Z" shaped bracket. I sent a drawing to your email.

Marc

See I knew some one with more experience would help. I have been around one of these for 15 or so years and never had to do much to that one except clean and grill.

Awesome! Thank you so much. I was actually in luck, the girlfriends dad has a weber genesis silver that he got for free. I'm snagging it and using for some parts that I need. Saves me $75 alone on the manifold
icon_smile.gif

Josh that is great, you can go to Weber .com and download the users manual for that grill with parts manual if you have not done so already. Will be looking forward to seeing photos of the clean up and finished product.

Finally got a day to do some work on the Weber. Wet sanded down the frame with some 220, then used the hi-temp black to paint the frame. So far so good!

Does Weber still stock the Z-rails for the tables, or is that something I'm going to have to get fabricated? Also...how does the table actually attach? It has the rail for the swing table but again I don't ever remember one being on it.

I didn't think so... I'm checking on having some made up, maybe out of stainless if they have some scraps around. If anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Awesome, LMK what you end up coming up with on those plans. I'm going to try to find a metal fabrication place around here this weekend.

rcplanebuyer on ebay has the Z brackets for the shelf. He makes them from SS and are a bit pricey but you only need two so it won't be too bad. He also makes SS flavor bars and SS steel rod grates for your grill. He doesn't advertise the Z brackets but if you find him on Ebay send him an email. There are different sizes but he will work with you to determine which size you need. Or you could just buy a whole new shelf from Weber but it will be the plastic wood, not real wood slats. Dan

Sorry I've been sick the past few days and haven't had a chance to work on it except for today. Started finally getting a chance to work on the firebox, sprayed it down with some oven cleaner, and used a metal razor to start scraping the old crap off of there. After 2 sprays almost all of it has come off! =)

Picked up about 12' of 1x2 Hickory with a fruitwood stain to make the new handle and slats for when I find/get the "Z-rails".

Only bad thing...The manifold that I got from the Weber Silver is too small to fit my Genesis. Now I get to order a new one from Weber tomorrow! :/

Finally got all the parts (except for that darn manifold! Which I'm waiting for from Weber)

Spent the past two days cleaning the firebox. Painted it today along with the sides, both with Hi-temp paint. Replaced the original screws in the hood with SS screws/bolts...that'll help last another 10-12 years!

Here are the pictures!

330789_452795448072662_1830363287_o.jpg

177941_452795561405984_1628057764_o.jpg

Well, got the old Weber working again! Finally was able to grill up a sweet black angus rib eye with some corn cooked up on the grill. Loved it!

194844_453724017979805_626235100_o.jpg

243721_453806817971525_428958728_o.jpg

Thanks again everybody for all the information and help! I will be cherishing this one for the next 10-15 years! =D

Back