Bang Bang Shrimp

Ron... L.

TVWBB Super Fan
I found a couple recipes online for a Bang Bang Shrimp clone and tried each. I've ended up taking a little from each, and the following recipe is always a hit around my house. This does fit on a barbecue site because I cook the shrimp in a cast iron frypan ouside on the side burner of my gasser (wife is allergic to seafood and I can't cook it in the house)
icon_rolleyes.gif

Make more than you believe you can eat as there are never enough.

Bang Bang Shrimp

Spicy Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
a few drops of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (note: adjust to taste…I like it more spicy and use about a teaspoon of hot sauce)
Shrimp
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup panko crumbs
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp rubbed ground sage
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp dried basil
8 to 12 cups vegetable shortening or oil
16 to 18 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. Combine all ingredients for chili sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Combine egg and milk in shallow bowl. Mix flour, panko, and spices in another shallow bowl.
3. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Use the amount of oil required by your fryer.
4. Bread shrimp by first coating each with breading, then dip into egg mixture, and then back into breading. Arrange the coated shrimp on a plate and pop them into the fridge for at least 20 minutes. This step will help the breading to stick on the shrimp when they are frying.
5. When your oil is hot, fry the shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a rack or paper towels. When all of the shrimp have been fried, drop the shrimp into a large bowl. Spoon about ¼ cup of the sauce over the shrimp and stir gently to coat. Stack the shrimp on a bed of mixed greens, then sprinkle chopped green onion over the top.

Which ingredients listed are for the chili sauce (Step 1)?
Which ingredients are for the spices in Step 2?

I love Bang Bang shrimp and have the whole fam damily coming in for the 4th of July so this is perfect! Thanks for posting.

I agree Andy as I've made Bang Bang Shrimp and the sauce is mayo , sweet Thai , and sirachi... I use a little less mayo and more Thai... Also I go with a lighter breading by coating the shrimp dry in corn starch ... No ehh no panko.... Comes out crispy and light... Gonna try this next time by just grilling some naked shrimp and then tossing in the sauce ...

Back