Larry Wolfe's BEST Recipe (revisited)

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Bought this on Sunday
DSCN0959.JPG

DSCN0960.JPG

and, as i have many times before, followed this amazing recipe.
filled the 18" chamber in the 22" WSM with Kingsford and a few chunks of (what appears to be) white oak ((i was told it is RED oak))
DSCN0963.JPG

Once i got the chunk of beef properly seasoned, i gently placed my future dinner on the grate of the WSM with probe in place.
DSCN0964.JPG

set for 165ºF...
DSCN0965.JPG

after a few hours...
DSCN0968.JPG

Meanwhile, I sliced up the onion, the orange pepper, the yellow pepper, added the gaaaaaalic, ONLY ONE (VERY) large jalapeno pepper...
DSCN0970.JPG

..OH YEAH, don't forget the stout brewski and the Worcestershire sauce... Larry'd KILL ME if i forget that stuff!
O-KAY-DOE-KAY! Hare We Go!
Drop the 165º PLUS roast on all that veggie goodness, wrap it tight in foil and cook some more to shreds!
DSCN0973.JPG

Well, i did just that and I shredded the daylights outta'v it, then cook it a bit more to thicken the whole ShéBang!
And this is what i got!
DSCN0979.JPG

OkNow, after this entire process, my gut is growlin' something like "FEED ME FOOD NOW!!"
ain't gonna argue.
two sammies, underneath, SHARP cheddar and Gouda cheeses...
DSCN0981.JPG

on top, fresh ground HORSERADISH! and MORE sharp cheddar and MORE Gouda cheeses. STACKED HIGH on a fresh Onion roll.
DSCN0982.JPG

Juices ooooozin' from that meat.
Plop a sliced grilled/baked Yukon, add some sauteéd and seasoned zucchini next door...
DSCN0983.JPG

HoleyBallsMan! LARRY! Thanks Man, for this OUTSTANDING recipe!!

And thank you all for viewing!

He could be a bit cranky and I know he and Chris got cross-ways, but I sure do miss Larry's post on this site and I'll be danged if is rubs recipes that I got from him when he was outfitting his van aren't the best I've tried. I think I'll mix up a big batch of Wolfe Rub Bold in his honor!

Pat

Looks great Jim! I revisited this one on the 4th, and it was a huge hit as it always is. It's one of our favorites, and instead of the cheddar/gouda I always do crumbled blue cheese. If you're a blue man, that's the place to be with this recipe.

Just awesome Jim. Not only did I get to see your great picture I really appreciate you putting up the link to the recipe.

Pat, thanks for your post also. I'm new here, but did really enjoy tracking posts from Larry. I purchased his rub recipe last week and look forward to using it. This explains why a lot of his picture links are gone from this site.

You have Larry's PSB down PAT!
Beautiful eats & pics Jim!!

I would love to make this Larry's way, but Jo Anne can't stand peppers, or meat cooked in beer, and is not much of a sandwich eater.

I have made it on a bed of onions with beef broth and it's good that way too.
One of these days I'll make it the original way and pig out.

Thank you all for you kind comments
icon_smile.gif

Troy, that's from thermaworks butt i do not know the model number. I do not have it nearby right now. It's about 3-4 years old.
Originally posted by Pat Smith:
He could be a bit cranky and I know he and Chris got cross-ways, but I sure do miss Larry's post on this site and I'll be danged if is rubs recipes that I got from him when he was outfitting his van aren't the best I've tried. I think I'll mix up a big batch of Wolfe Rub Bold in his honor! Pat
Pat, i could not agree with you more! Larry sure can cook up a storm
icon_wink.gif

Awesome job on the pepper stout beef Jim!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I think imho, this is one of the greatest recipes in the world of BBQ!!

Jim, that looks freaking awesome!

Can you give me an idea of how long you smoked it and then how long you cooked after it was foiled and shredded? Trying to get a rough idea of the total cook time. This might be a silly question, but did you put it back in the smoker for the foiled phase or in the oven? Based on how often you cook on the WSM, I'm wondering if you even own an oven!

That looks so delicious. My mouth is watering.

Thanks,
Chad

Well you just convinced me to make PSB for a family gathering instead of the pulled pork I was planning on making. Those are great looking sandwiches.

thanks chad
icon_smile.gif

the roast was on the WSM for about 3 hours at 250ºF then another 2 or so hours to shred it then about another hour or so to finish it.
It does take a while to cook this.
I did put the foiled pan back on the WSM because the coals were going good still, butt in the past, i have used my oven, YES, i own an oven. A pretty nice one too, in fact.
When i did put it back on the WSM foiled, I removed the waterpan below. Got the WSM up to 350-375ºF without a problem.
Good luck with your cook. You'll love it!

Back