PDF: The BBQ Wisdom of Harry Soo

Thanks for this! what a fantastic amount of info and insight.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great review from a BBQ champion. I'm just confused about foiling brisket. Soo says to foil the brisket when the temp reaches the plateau, about 150 degrees, and to spray with apple juice. Do I then put back the foiled brisket on the smoker and keep the 250 smoker temperature?

icon_razz.gif

Followed Harry's brisket advice and I believe it really helped on a tough cook day yesterday in the cold and wind in Lake Carroll, IL. We had an outstanding NYE brisket.

Originally posted by Elliot Grossman:
Great review from a BBQ champion. I'm just confused about foiling brisket. Soo says to foil the brisket when the temp reaches the plateau, about 150 degrees, and to spray with apple juice. Do I then put back the foiled brisket on the smoker and keep the 250 smoker temperature?
Elliot, simple answer ,yes. However cooking temp can go up which will shorten the cook time. Leave in foil till done. Works like a charm. Harry just took another GC last Sat at Knott's Berry Farm comp.

Agreed.

The spray of a.j. isn't really going to do anything much (surprised he claims this) but foiling changes the game, what the 'purists' claim notwithstanding. The cooking after foiling is much more efficient. Added to that: lack of evaporative loss or loss from drippings. Win-win.

Water or Apple Juice used properly will do something. Most don't understand what they are doing or why. A lot of Harry's wisdom's comes from my class handout and is used with my permission.

The PDF is great! I just started watching Pitmasters on Netflix and Harry is definitely my favorite! So cool to see the WSM featured on a show like that.

Harry is one of the best guys out there cooking the circuit
Always enjoy visiting with him

I highly recommend his class
No telling who you will run into there

I HAD to save this one. Harry has some interesting ideas that I will try. Will try his rub and compare it to
some others that I use. His looks uncomplicated and I like that. Thanks Chris.

Back