Using finishing sauce or not?

Andrew Wands

TVWBB Member
Hello Board! I plan to cook 2 butts this Thursday and plan to serve it the next day. Should I add a finishing sauce to the meat after being pulled or just some vinegar based while heating up? If so, what is a great sauce to use for the finishing AND to serve on PP sandwiches to please a crowd? Thanks!

Andrew, I usually add some rub to taste after pulling. If reheating, I add a bit of sauce on the reheat. No. 5 sauce in the sauce section is really good...

I add a finishing sauce during pulling - not the sauce(s) I plan to serve alongside, and I do not sauce when reheating. A good finishing sauce will work with any typical serving sauce.

I use a little sauce when reheating. Usually something mild and then make a few choices available so guests can adjust to their own taste.

Mike

I add a little finishing sauce when pulling.

If it's going into the frig, I add a little more. But I don't add any while reheating.

I use the same sauce for finishing and serving.

Sometimes I do provide additional sauces when serving a crowd.

No. 5 sauce is good. I like Sweet Baby Ray's cut with Apple Juice and Apple Cider Vingear (2:2:1) or Stubb's Original BBQ cut with Apple Juice (1:1).

I'd rather call what I add to pulled pork as a finishing "moisturizer" instead of a "sauce", and how much I add depends on how long the serving time will be and how the pork turned out. For example, if just for the family, and I'm really happy with the cook, I probably won't add any at all.

In my opinion, the meat should stand on it's on, and bbq (serving) sauces are best set out for your diners to select from and add at their discretion.

Back