Low Carb Chocolate Souffle

Konrad Haskins

R.I.P. 3/23/2014
I was typing up the newsletter and though I'd share the recipe of the month.

Chef's Corner "Low Carb Chocolate Souffle"

Dying for a chocolate dessert, yet constrained by your low-carb diet? Here is the answer, and it's easy! Please only use Splenda, as it is heat safe the other sweeteners are artificial and are not safe to cook with. Splenda is sugar that has had the carbs removed.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Granular Splenda, plus extra for sprinkling
1/3 Cup Sugar Free (Splenda) Chocolate Syrup for making Mochas we use the De Vinci brand

1 Tablespoon Hershey's Dutch Process European Cocoa

3 large egg yolks at room temperature
6 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 375*F. Butter 8" souffle dish or individual straight sided flat bottom dishes and sprinkle with granular Splenda. Knock out any excess Splenda.

Beat whites in a large bowl until they just hold soft peaks. Add 1/3 cup Splenda slowly while continuing beating, a little at a time. Then beat at a higher speed until whites just hold stiff peaks. Make sure the bowl and mixer are free of any of the chocolate/yolk mixture or the whites will never stiffen.

Beat the Chocolate Syrup, Egg yolks and Cocoa powder together until thoroughly mixed. Stir about 1 cup whites into chocolate mixture to lighten, then very gently yet thoroughly fold mixture into remaining whites.

Transfer mixture into souffle dish. Run a clean finger around the inside of the dish to remove the sugar from the exposed sides so the crust can rise evenly. Bake in center of oven until it appears cooked and crusted on top but is still jiggly in center (roughly 25 minutes).

Serve immediately with plain whipped cream.

Back