Store bought ribs

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
At the risk of destroying my "BBQ Creds), I would like to share something with you all.

We are getting ready for a major trip and time is short. My wife suggested picking up some of those plastic packaged, pre-cooked, baby back ribs. The brand she selected is Primrose. A full rack (12 ribs) was on special for $3.99.

She opened the package up, heated them in a toaster oven and served them up. they won't win any competitions but were quite tasty. They even come slathered with a nice, tangy, barbecue sauce.

It only took ten minutes to have them table ready. They were near "fall off the bone" - very tender and moist.

Just a thought or two for those occasions you don't have time to grill. They can also be grilled for ten minutes or so on direct prior to serving.

I rate the quality considerably better than many restaurants that have served me ribs.

Now, heading for the bomb shelter!
icon_biggrin.gif

FWIW
Dale53

Robert, I for one will admit I've tried "alternate" BBQ when time wasn't on my side....nothing to be ashamed of!
Hey, sometimes 'Q of some kind is better than no 'Q at all!!!!
Ever heard of the McRib?
icon_biggrin.gif

Robert i'd rather spend the 3:99 on those rib's,,,Than waste my 3:99 at taco bell-burger king anyday lol.

I agree with Tim...

For last last minute dinners, I have used pre-cooked ribs. I will usually put them on my gas grill till they get a nice crisp on the edges, then serve up with a side.

My biggest complaint are the small sizes of the ones I have tried. But still better than fast food.

I bought 2 racks of ribs Saturday that were pre-seasoned, not precooked. Swift brand spares already trimmed St. Louis style preseasoned with a Kansas City style rub the package said. Same way for me I was in a time crunch and wanted some ribs. Not expecting much, got home grilled indirect in a rib rack on the kettle with some cherry wood for 2 hours, wrapped in foil with a little honey for 30 minutes. Turned out better than expected, not fall off the bone and had a little tug to them but thats how we like our ribs, flavor was OK. With our leftover taters and veggies from Thanksgiving made for a nice rib supper meal. Spent less than $25.00 to feed 4 of us. I wouldn't cook or eat these regularly but to be this quick and cheap turned out pretty good.

I was in a hurry the other day because I worked 2 and a 1/2 weeks straight other that Thanksgiving Day, so I decided to try Tony Roma's ribs packed and pre-cooked with sauce. They were pretty good. Not as meaty as my own. All I had to do was "grill" them up in 15 minutes! I give then about a B grade.

Back