New 18 inch WSM vs. old, do you see enough improvements?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Just wondering, from those who own the 18 wsm, do you see enough improved features to get the new 18 inch vs. the old? I guess the biggest benefit is is comes with the thermometer and has a heat shield, maybe an improved water pan and access door are positives.

I'm not sure how much more the new 18 will be, but wonder if it is worth the extra $50-75 that it will probably cost vs. the old.

your thoughts? My local ACE store just rec'd one of the older wsm's and I noticed ACE hardward is selling a few online for $175 via their outlet store but shipping is expensive, perhaps to make room for the new version. Just wondering if it is worth waiting and paying more.

speaking for myself, if I think about time and money, I will probably spend as much as they will increase the price to get similar features, but in the case of the door, that wouldn't be comparable as I don't think I'll be modifying my unit.

If there was a $100 increase in the list price, that would probably mean about $60-$70 increase at the street price, and I would think that justifies the new features, but that's from my perspective.

All of our mileage varies.

My first improvement to my "old" WSM was a $40 thermometer. There are other improvements I would like to make to my WSM but I can live with it as is.

When it comes to cooking gear, I`m of the school that the more you cook with a certain unit, the better the food gets. Its sort of like the old pot you use to make chicken soup in. Great results guaranteed everytime!

So I don`t see myself jumping at any of the newer models any time soon.

i wont be getting the new 18" model but i will DEFINATELY be getting the 22" one.

i already have a 18" wsm and my only complaint is the small size. im just wondering how many briskets i can fit on the 22" and 18" combined... if so it may solve my bbq problem for the yearly company cookout. especially if it can hold 15 briskets between the two of them.

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
especially if it can hold 15 briskets between the two of them.
What? 15 briskets in 1 18" and 1 22" WSM? I don't think so. Help me understand what you're thinking...maybe small brisket flats using multiple stacked cooking grates?

Chris A, what are your thoughts on David's questions?

If you were in the market to purchase your very first 18" WSM, would you wait until the new and improved come out in 2009? Or, would you purchase an existing one, perhaps from Amazon for $200, and add a thermometer and larger water pan?

I am in a similar position to David, but have no true smoker in which to speak.

Merrill

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
especially if it can hold 15 briskets between the two of them.
What? 15 briskets in 1 18" and 1 22" WSM? I don't think so. Help me understand what you're thinking...maybe small brisket flats using multiple stacked cooking grates? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you use two extra grates and cherry pick the smallest flats from several cases you can just fit 8 VERY small flats in an 18" WSM. I've stuffed a dozen racks of rolled ribs in a WSM.

If you want to take the new 22" to extreme meat production I'm thinking bone in butts sitting on edge.

As for the new one wait and see how low the price on the original goes once the new one is shipping. 99.99% of the world does not know the new one exists. The old style has won so many awards, proving what a fine cooker it is.

Originally posted by Merrill:
Chris A, what are your thoughts on David's questions?
If you are handy, adding a thermometer is pretty easy. Large water pan is a simple mod. Improved access door, charcoal grate, and sturdier legs in the 2009 model are good, but not essential...we've lived without them for 25 years.

If the current model's price keeps dropping (down to $196 last I checked), it will be more cost effective to buy it and mod it yourself. I think you'd be very happy with the current model if you did those mods.

Regards,
Chris

Merrill, you got to the essence of my point. that's pretty much what i was wondering. The only trick is, we don't know what the 09 will be offered at, so it's hard to say, but safely, it will be more.

In part, i was wondering if I need to add something to the underneath of the old wsm as a heat shield/protector for my pool deck since the new one is getting this feature. will the old one get hot enough to damage a deck or present a fire hazard, is that why weber is adding the shield or just being overly precautionary?

I put a common fire mat under mine and it hasn't discolored my deck in 6yrs but the place I didnt does have a mark.

Just wondering, from those who own the 18 wsm, do you see enough improved features to get the new 18 inch vs. the old?
I want and can use the larger unit but I personally wouldn't ditch an old 18" to get a new 18", I'm already all geared up for the old one. I have dual probe remote therm, and my WSM sits on a wood deck on a concrete block.

I personally don't see anything on the new one that makes me want to dump my old WSM. I have had it for a over a year and have added a thermometer and handles.
I am in the process of designing an enclosed wind breaker out of aluminum and the bottom will block heat if I decide to put it on my deck.
I'm really waiting for all the old ones to come on the market. Then I will definitely not need the 22 1/2" WSM. I only plan on buying the BIG BOY if I opened a restaurant and that ain't going to happen!

The original question was not about ditching the current WSM for the new one...that makes no sense, obviously. It was about whether one should buy the current one now or wait and pay more for the new one.

Regards,
Chris

I need a third WSM for next year' comps. I'm currenlty bidding on one on e-bay. If I loose out I'll purchase a new one through Amazon for 199.00 (current price). But...to answer the question...NO...I would not pay the increase in price for the new WSM. I can add all the new features myself a lot cheaper.

As far as the brisket thing goes...I wonder if you can stack flats on their sides in a rib rack. If so...I could do 12 5-6 lb flats with one WSM and two rib racks.

"Just wondering, from those who own the 18 wsm, do you see enough improved features to get the new 18 inch vs. the old?"

Misunderstood the Question. No, I would not get the new one. You can get a good thermometer for a lot less than the difference in the two and get a small piece of steel plate or aluminum for a heat shield at Lowe's.

And Earnest, the thought of an Electric Smoker(God Forbid!) did not cross my mind.

Hey Rick,
I think an electric smoker is the way you would have to go for a high volume biz such as owning your own restaurant or even a busy catering place.

I don't care what improvements they put in the WSM. When I saw Chris's Front Page article on them, and the price at $350, I think Weber has lost its mind. There in no way in Hell the smoker is worth that much money. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE my WSM. But it's not worth that much money, and the 22" isn't worth $500.

For that price, I'd buy a Big Green Egg instead.

If those prices are staying, it should be interesting to see how Weber markets this product. I can`t imagine there being a huge demand for the WSMs. I always considered it a cult piece, in that only the seriously demented owned a piece that took hours to cook food. Seriously, who has the time?
icon_biggrin.gif

Do we officially know weather or not the new WSM's will be available in different colors like other Weber products? That would be the only difference that would make me wait for the new 18 over the old. I would love to have a WSM to match my kettle....

Functionality, I dont think would be worth the wait. I dont see a point in the heat sheild, unless your worried about it burning up upon re-entry. The therm is nice but you can choose what style/size/brand to use with the old, which I prefer. The old legs havent been an issue for me, so as said, unless color is an option I'd stick with the old 18 and make it my own
icon_smile.gif

Brandon

Back