Help with a Glaze?

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion or two for a glaze or finish for rib rubbed with the following:

cumin, chili powder, dry mustard, cayenne, cardamom, cinnamon.

I like ribs done with this rub just as they are. I also have a sauce that I make which I usually server on the side or sometimes add and let caramelize on the grill. The ones I'm making are going to travel and I was thinking a glaze would be good to try.

I have some pomegranate jelly that I could cook down in to something, just not sure that would go well or compliment that well.

I will be doing about 2 or 3 rib cooks starting tomorrow, and thought I could also do plain, glazed, and some sauced and thrown back on the grill for a few minutes.

In the meantime I'll search through the archives for some ideas.

The pomegranate is a very good idea with those spices. Here are some ideas on approaches.

I'm thinking pomegranate, a little bit of butter (unsalted), a squeeze of lime or, maybe better, grapefruit, and a bit of white sugar--just a touch. Possibly a tiny bit of Dijon to emulsify...

Have the ribs on now for the tail gate party (Phillies game live today). We will be doing ribs, shrimp and wings. Ribs are on for 45 minutes now. Got the Digi II back yesterday and I am so happy about that since I don't have to worry about cooker temps at all while I am rushing around. I'm going to cook them for an hour or so then foil for maybe 45 min then unwrap and finish. I have plenty of my own sauce that I'll use today for the ribs.

For tomorrows 21 party. I want to play with the glaze. Would like to have plain, "Rays sauce" and the glaze.

I have Pom jelly and just see that I have some carmelized oninon and roasted garlic Jam in the fridge. Going to mix those along with some of the rub listed above. Want to mix in some Jack D. after looking at KK's reference. I'll let you guys know how the glaze turns out.

So glad the Digi II came back yesterday, it's allowing me to relax a bit and drink some Harpoon IPA as I work all of this.

Happy 4th and thanks for all the help!!

BTW - Wayne, thanks for the Danny's reference I actually have that url saved from someones previous post. The looks like a great quick one. I will definitely be giving that a try for sure. And if rushed I think that would be a quick good one for sure.

Ray, you are quite the cooker this weekend. Glad to hear you got the Digi back so fast and no charge. They are a great bunch to deal with. So I take it your going to the game? I haven't been to the new field yet. I'll get there one of these days. Don't forget to take some pics along the way.

Hey Bryan -

Yes we gated before the game. Good time with family. Good game too with a nice closer with that run in the last inning.

About to prep and load six more racks today. Getting pulled pork out from the freezer from the cook last week. Don't need the ribs done until 6:30 or so.

I'll try to get some pics this time.

Actually today will be ribs, shrimp, wings, beans and etc. Mostly college kids. I'll save the PP for another event. Still going to play with the glaze though.

No pics was a rush all day from 8am or so. AFA the glaze - did 1C of the pomegranate jelly, 1/2 C of the caramelized onion and roasted garlic jam along with about an oz or so of Jack. About a T of the rub above some butter, couple T of dijon, some wine vinegar. Touch of salt and pepper. Reduced to a syrup consistency. Pretty much everything to taste.

The ribs just might have been the best I've done. And I've cooked a lot of them. Not falling off, but just enough pull to come off clean. Lots of compliments from everyone. I cooked for about 90 min to an hour, foiled for about an hour or so until the pass with the skewer just went through without effort. Pulled it all, kept it in a foil pan/s.

Then dumped the coals from the WSM into the Kettle and evened everything off with the rake. Added some more coals and kept things gong until ready to finish/serve the ribs.

Even layer of coals in the kettle. Then quick grill close then elevated off the heat on the Primo Jr. grill extension until the sauce or the glaze just started to turn and get stiff. And then some were just plain with the rub above.

#9 Dutch oven full of beans with chopped rib tips added in for flavor. Some wings too.

Incorporated a good bit key learnings from various posts and discussions on this site. Ribs were all St. Louis style spares using Chris's video info. I'm actually sold on this method right now.

Digi II kept everything at 250 deg while I cycled the 6 full racks through then the tips and ends. Digi II was awesome in that I could run errands, work in the kitchen and really didn't have to fool with vents or chase temps ever. Everything cooked on lump. Used pecan for the smoke.

Thanks guys!

Back