New WSM thermometers

not sure where to ask this but here seems like a good spot.

Will the weber thermos for the new wsm be available from Weber? I just got WSM # 2 and want to start doing some mods. I want to add a thermo but thought the weber one might be cool to add

I don't know. Weber has never been big on selling parts so that you can mod your cooker. I once tried ordering one of their Summit grill thermometers and basically had to lie to get one. I can see it from their perspective...they probably want to maintain an inventory of Summit parts to satisfy the needs of Summit owners, not WSM modders.

But this will be a slightly different animal...a WSM owner wanting to upgrade an older cooker with new parts. Maybe they will sell in this case, maybe not. We'll see.

IMHO, I think the TelTru GT100R Weber Genesis Gold B/C Grill Replacement Thermometer (scroll down) looks suspiciously like a stock Weber Therm, like on my Performers: the font for the numbers looks the same, 5 inch stem, 1 3/4" dial, etc. I can't zoom to see the font, but it seems to be the same font as on the BQ250 (but not the BQ300). So, my guess is that TelTru may be the vendor/supplier to Weber for thermometers.

You can get the current therm for the Q320/Summit: they say Weber (cool) and have a threaded mount on the back, with a 3" stem. Probably the new WSM therms are this exact item, and Weber is merely applying an existing part to another product.

But, like Chris said, it may be difficult to get them to sell one to you unless you actually have a grill: got any friends with a Q320/Summit?

BTW, it is much easier to get these parts from the Factory Store--just tell them what you want--than it is to call Customer Service and talk them into selling you one. Call 1-224-836-2742.

Edit: Q320 thermometer is part #60540, $10.35.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I don't know. Weber has never been big on selling parts so that you can mod your cooker. I once tried ordering one of their Summit grill thermometers and basically had to lie to get one. I can see it from their perspective...they probably want to maintain an inventory of Summit parts to satisfy the needs of Summit owners, not WSM modders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chris: Been thinking of buying an ATC(Guru) for my WSM. Question, would I be better-off buying the new WSM which will have a Thermometer?

Rick

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

I don't use an ATC, so I may not be the best person to ask, but these devices monitor cooker temp at the cooking grate using a separate thermocouple, so it doesn't seem like a thermometer in the lid would be crucial.

Chris

Back