Neely's Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I caught the tail end of this program when they made this dish and thought it sounded interesting. Did it last night and I've got to say she's a keeper! Perfect balance sweet and spicy. Going to do this for the graduation party for sure.

Here's the link Neely's Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw

Enjoy!

In case link goes bad:

2 pounds green cabbage
4 carrots
1 medium yellow onion
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cut cabbage in quarters and remove core. Peel carrots and onion and cut into pieces that would fit through the feed tube of a food processor. Fit food processor with the large-holed grater attachment and push cabbage, carrots, and onions through feed tube to grate. In a large bowl, toss vegetables together.
In another medium bowl, prepare the coleslaw dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne. Toss dressing with the cabbage mixture, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Regards,
Chris

i want to try this with the baby backs i'll be doing on monday. since it's just me,the wife and a 4year old boy i'll probably just get a small bag of precut slaw mix. should i halve the rest of the ingredients for a small bag?

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i want to try this with the baby backs i'll be doing on monday. since it's just me,the wife and a 4year old boy i'll probably just get a small bag of precut slaw mix. should i halve the rest of the ingredients for a small bag?
Tony, I would. IIRC the small bag is 1 lb. so that should be about perfect. This recipe does sound tastey.

yep, the small bag is 1 lb and it has green,red cabbage and carrots. i'll halve everything and make it in the am. i forgot an onion so i'll probably just omit that instead of running back out to the store.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
yep, the small bag is 1 lb and it has green,red cabbage and carrots. i'll halve everything and make it in the am. i forgot an onion so i'll probably just omit that instead of running back out to the store.
I just picked up a 1lb. bag of the Dole Cole Slaw mix. I'll make it Monday as well.

Just made this up, here's how I did mine. It's in the fridge, flavors melding. Dressing/Sauce tasted good though.

1 lb. Bag of Dole Cole Slaw Mix
2-3 TBS super fine dice sweet onion
1/4 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann's)
2 TBS mustard (Mister Mustard "Sweet Hot")
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
*2 TBS sugar* (only major change)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (fresh ground)
1/4 teaspoon super hot chili powder I have

I salted the slaw mix in a collander to get some water out of it. Prob used about a 1 tsp maybe a bit more.
*I only used 2 TBS of sugar and that's plenty sweet for me.

I also made this recipe this past weekend using a pound of cabbage (half head). I substituted splenda for the sugar and added a tad more cider vinegar. I like to make my coleslaw's two days in advance to let everything blend together, and did the same with this recipe. The coleslaw was really really good and worked well with pulled pork. Next time I will probably add less splenda and purge the coleslaw as Brian mentioned above. This is definitely a keeper.

Erik

i did a half batch and used splenda granular as well, and added an extra tsp of vinegar, used a little more black pepper and omitted the cayenne. was very tasty. i bet it tastes even better tomorrow for rib and slaw leftaovers after setting for 3 days

Tony, the coleslaw I made was left in the refrigerator for two days before we ate it. I highly recommend purging the cabbage as Bryan mentioned above due to the fact that after a couple days, there was a lot of water which I had to continually drain to avoid the cabbage from being soggy. Otherwise, the flavor was great.

Erik

Final report on this slaw. Loved it, and so did the guys at work. Thanks Larry for posting it. I gave 4-5 Buds a taste of it and they all loved it. About the sugar reduction I did on this recipe, really the 2 TBS was plenty for the sweet part. It was a perfect balance. I just can't imagine putting a 1/2 cup in this halved recipe or the full 1 cup in the regular. It makes my teeth hurt just thinking about that much sugar in the slaw. I do not have a sweet tooth so maybe it's just me.
icon_wink.gif

Glad you guys liked it. I've made it several times and can't get enough of the stuff. I've gone to letting it sit overnight for best results.

i made another half batch of this last night and used bryan's salt the cabbage advice. i set the collander on the counter on top of a few paper towels and in an hour the towels were soaked. i also cut the sugar down to 3 TB of splenda granular. and once again i forgot to get an onion. i did use some indian cayenne pepepr from spice merchants though. tasted a pinch last night and seemed to turn out even better. guess i'll see today.

I made this last night for our BBQ today on the 4th!!! After reading some of the posts about the sugar, I decided to follow the advice and cut back on sugar to 2 TB. Boy was I disappointed. I had to keep adding 1TB of Sugar and 1 TB of Vinegar to get the taste that I like for slaw. So my total sugar is probably close to the original recipe.

I omitted the onions and the cayenne and I like it just fine!! Fresh ground pepper tastes oh so yummy! I did accidentally add about 1 carrot too many and I should've left it out.

Criag, I'm with you on the sugar, it's "Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw" and I've found for my taste buds the sugar is just about right. You left the cayenne out, dude come on, again, "it's Sweet and Spicy Coleslaw!" Just kidding you of course, however, I have cooked this for guests who do not like spicy food, took the cayenne down to 1/2 of the suggested amount and it was fine for them.

made yet another batch last night to go with my spares today. this time i used 10 drops of liquid splenda(no calories or carbs) which equals roughly 1/2 cup of regular sugar and instead of cayenne i used chipotle powder. i just had a forkfull and i believe it is the best batch i have made yet.

Would someone mind explaining a bit more about 'purging' the cabbage? This sounds delicious. Thanks all!!

J

Purging is the same as salt wilting. Basically, you sprinkle salt on the raw slaw mixture and put some type of weight on top of it. Most use a colander with a plate on top of the cabbage, weighed down with a brick or something else heavy. After it wilts rinse the cabbage and let air dry or pat dry. The salt and weight pull a lot of water out of the slaw thus when mixed with the dressing doesn't water down the coleslaw. This prevents it from looking runny.

Your next question is how much salt....
- some use only the salt which the recipe calls for. Claim that enough salt is absorbed.

I just wash it off and mix all the rest of ingredients, then taste to see if you do or don't need more salt. Everyone has different salt tolerance.

Back