Steak and toast with madiera sauce

G

I made this last night, really good. I used porterhouse instead and since only wife and I were eating I cut the recipe into 1/4. next time I'll do toast points instead of strips, and go easy on the sauce - it's very rich.

-snip-

Clahan's Jersey Beef

2 (2 pound, 1 1/2 inches thick) top sirloin
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 loaf white sandwich bread (must be white bread)

Sauce:
1 pound unsalted butter
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons crushed garlic
1/4 cup Madeira wine
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

On cutting board, remove all the fat and gristle from sirloin. Marinate by spreading mustard and garlic over top. Add
Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and salt. Let the meat marinate at room temperature for at least one hour (but not
more that 2). When ready to cook, start barbecue and let it warm up for about ten minutes. Place the beef on the grill. Cook
for 8 minutes per side, (medium rare) or until the beef is done to your taste. Transfer beef to carving board, using barbecue
tongs. Carve the beef by slicing across the grain into strips 1/4-inch thick. At the same time that you transfer the beef, start
toasting the white sandwich bread. Slice the bread into 3 strips and place on serving platter. Arrange beef on top of sliced
bread.

In a saucepan on the grill, heat unsalted butter. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic, wine, pepper, salt and, whisking
constantly, cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from grill and spoon the sauce over the beef and
bread. Serve immediately. Must eat while hot, and must be eaten using your fingers.

this sounds really good, I just love cooking with (and drinking) Madieran wine...I may have to try this recipe this week

did you cook the steak on a gasser or a kettle?

I made that sauce a while back and ate it every night for about two weeks! Hard to believe how much butter is in the sauce. I skipped the toast part and just doused my steak in it. Pretty dang good and it's a little different.

I made it on a gasser, don't have a kettle. Looks like guy who wrote recipe also uses a gasser ("let BBQ warm up for 10 minutes").

I made this, for the second time, tuesday night and had the leftovers for lunch yesterday, thanks for a great recipe!

I did change it a bit on purpose and a bit not on purpose...

the puposeful change was I cut the butter by half and doubled the wine...the non purposeful change was I used port instead of madiera...

I decided to try a new wine store that just opened up here in Bellevue, so I ask the gal what kind of madiera they had, and she gets this confused look and asks me where madeira wine was from...this wasn't starting to good...so she gets her husband who tells me 'yes, we have some very nice madiera' and hands me a bottle of faux-port made in Madera California...I figure this is a lost cause and buy the madera, which actually turned out very nice in the recipe...I won't be going back to that wine store tho...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Flynn:
[qb] Madiera is usually next to the Ports. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>not in this wine store...they didn't have any

that's one of the criterias I use to judge a wine store/section...do they have any Madieras and do they have any vinho verde

I made this yesterday. I would have made it sooner if anyone around here sold Maderia. I tasted the steak coming off the grill and boy was it good. The maderia sauce to me was "pretty" good. I liked it but I thought that it was really heavy. I did however find a new marinade that I know I'll love for steaks.

The misses liked it too but was counting fat grams so I knew this wouldn't fly in the future (sauce).

Thanks Jason. Added a new recipe to my dinner making menu.

Back