Kettle fried chicken

Al Ramirez III

TVWBB Member
Kettle Fried Chicken that is! I bought a pack of drumsticks and some store bought chicken fry since I'm lazy. Seasoned the legs and dredged them in the batter and then rolled in the fry mixture and let them sit for about 30 mins while I fired up a chimney of mesquite lump and regular k so I could get the kettle to 450ish to cook these indirect. Laid them on and cooked them indirect for 45 mins and the internal temp was 180. WOW these were awesome and super crunchy! The batter mix I got was very good and I will be doing this again. One thing I did notice was about halfway through cooking I peeked and they looked dry from the breading so I sprayed them with canola cooking spray and this fixed my problem. They did stick a little to the grate but not too bad. Try this!

chicken019.jpg

chicken020.jpg

chicken021.jpg

chicken022.jpg

chicken025.jpg

chicken024.jpg

chicken027.jpg

chicken028.jpg

chicken030.jpg

Ramirez to Ramirez, Al that looks fabulous! I will be doing this soon. Seriously. I want one of those now!

That looks awesome. I am doing baby backs Saturday for my birthday party, yes I throw myself a party
icon_biggrin.gif
, and was going to do wings on the kettle but I might have to try these instead.

Holy Cow! This is gonna cause sales of Mrs. Winners and KFC to plummet!

Al, are you prepared for the responsibility of bringing down 2 of the nation's multi-million dollar franchises?

Thanks guys! I'm prepared to take on KFC now
icon_smile.gif
I didn't think it would be as good as it was but it was like crispy fried chicken with no greasiness. I'm going try different batters but this one was good and spicy.

Unbelievable Al! This is what I love about this site. I didn't even know that this could be done without frying in oil. Just awesome. I wonder if it would work with one of those hangers like Jim Lampe has? Love the idea. Thanks!!!

Al, just so I understand,,,,

You use the fry mix to make the batter, then roll the pieces in some more of the (dry) fry mix?

Thanks,

JimT

YUM!! I tried all over town for that coating. No luck.
icon_mad.gif
Am making this tonight with another coating. If it turns out well I will report back !!

Shaun, this would work awesome!
YEAH Al, we NEED more DETAILS!
Please tell us the batter mixture ingreds!
Are you using the 'lousianna chicken fry IN the batter ?
And what else...?
You season the she-cone` then dredge in batter then roll in dry...
OH-EM-GEE!!! I think you got everyone wannin' KFC!
It All Looks AWESOME!
now please answer our questions so we can eet some of this greatness! :D

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Shaun, this would work awesome!
YEAH Al, we NEED more DETAILS!
Please tell us the batter mixture ingreds!
Are you using the 'lousianna chicken fry IN the batter ?
And what else...?
You season the she-cone` then dredge in batter then roll in dry...
OH-EM-GEE!!! I think you got everyone wannin' KFC!
It All Looks AWESOME!
now please answer our questions so we can eet some of this greatness!:D

Look above. Th batter is explained.

That's some good-looking Kettle-fried chicken, Al!! I've actually wanted to do this cook for a long time, but haven't done it yet. It's on my list, and I'll hope mine turns out just as good as yours.

Thanks for sharing!

Barret

Sorry for the late reply. I just followed the directions on the package. The batter is actually for frying and doesn't have any information on baking on the package. I just followed the directions on the package. You mix the fry mix with water which makes the batter, roll chicken in batter, then it tells you to roll it in dry mix before frying. I just baked it indirect on the kettle at 450 for about 45 minutes and the internal temp was 180 when I pulled them. I did flip at the halfway mark and sprayed them with canola spray. Louisiana products are available everywhere here but any chicken fry would work I think.

Oh yeah I forgot I also added some dry rub to the chicken pieces prior to battering them. Other than that I just used the Louisiana Chickey Fry mix that came in the package. If you can find their products they are all good. Especially the fish fry. I would think any batter mix for frying you can find would work. I would also oil the grate next time before placing them on since I had a little trouble with sticking. Good luck! It's awesome!

Awesome post, Al!

That chicken looks phenomenal. So good in fact that I'm making this tomorrow night. I've got a whole cut up chicken soaking in a buttermilk brine right now. I couldn't find the Louisiana brand mix but did find House Autry mix. It has the same exact directions as the Louisiana so it should work fine. Hope mine turns out as good as yours looks. Thanks again!

Back