Ultimate Baked Beans

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Last year my wife of 4 years pulls this recipe out and says these beans are too die for i'll make them for you?
HERE IT IS THEY ARE FANTASTIC
BAKED CALICO BEANS
4-1LB. CANS BUSH'S BAKED BEANS
1LB CAN HANOVER BUTTER BEANS
1LB CAN HANOVER LIGHT RED KIDNEY BEANS
1LB CAN HANOVER CHICK PEAS
1/4 CUP MAPLE SYRUP
3/4 CUP BROWN SUGAR
1 CUP KETCHUP
1 TBL MUSTARD
2 TBL VINEGAR
1 tsp SALT
1 LB GROUND SAUSAGE or BEEF
1 LB BACON
1 LARGE ONION CHOPPED FINE
1 GREEN PEPPER CHOPPED FINE

FRY BACON, PUT ASIDE. COOK ONION AND PEPPER IN 1/4 CUP OF BACON DRIPPINGS TILL TENDER SET ASIDE.BROWN SAUSAGE OR BEEF, DRAIN. DRAIN BEANS & PEAS. IN A BIG BOWL MIX MAPLE SYRUP, BROWN SUGAR,KETCHUP, MUSTARD, VINEGAR, & SALT TILL WELL INCORPORATED. ADD BEANS, MEAT, ONIONS, PEPPERS, AND CRUMBLED BACON. MIX WELL AND PUT INTO A LARGEPAN(it will fill up a lasagne pan) BAKE UNCOVERED AT 350 FOR 1 HOUR. Don't drain the Bush's Baked Beans. All others get drained). Enjoy Bryan (Edit we leave out the green pepper and use bob evan's breakfast sausage, white wrapper)

Bryan,

We have never put any meat into a baked bean recipe (other than the occasional hot dog)...This sounds great. My wife makes a mixture of several of the canned beans along with Bullseye BBQ sauce, brown sugar and heinz ketchup, and sometimes other things that strike her fancy at the time of prep, and bakes in a cast iron dutch oven until a nice crust forms on top and they are awesome. I will print this one off and give it a try, thanks.

Also, we are not far from Lancaster, where do you find the best meat for smoking?

Tom

Tom, i get butts at BJ'S and packer briskets at wal-mart.I can't belive my wife held out on me for 4 years. These are the best beans i have ever ate. Then again Lancaster Pa, is not Known for it's BBQ. But we do have the Amish.

Bryan,

Thanks for the wal-mart suggestion for the packer briskets, I don't think I would have looked there...I will now though. You're right about Lancaster and BBQ, the local fare is a whole different style...can you say smorgasbord? We do have some local wineries that are putting out some increasingly good product though and the styles they make reflect the local growing area. Not Europe, California or Australia by any stretch, but becoming much better and they are great with grilled food.

The next sound you hear will be....a cork.

Tom

Honestly, somebody has to try these beans
icon_frown.gif
They are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good
icon_eek.gif

Last year my wife of 4 years pulls this recipe out and says these beans are too die for i'll make them for you?
HERE IT IS THEY ARE FANTASTIC
BAKED CALICO BEANS
4-1LB. CANS BUSH'S BAKED BEANS
1LB CAN HANOVER BUTTER BEANS
1LB CAN HANOVER LIGHT RED KIDNEY BEANS
1LB CAN HANOVER CHICK PEAS
1/4 CUP MAPLE SYRUP
3/4 CUP BROWN SUGAR
1 CUP KETCHUP
1 TBL MUSTARD
2 TBL VINEGAR
1 tsp SALT
1 LB GROUND SAUSAGE or BEEF
1 LB BACON
1 LARGE ONION CHOPPED FINE
1 GREEN PEPPER CHOPPED FINE

FRY BACON, PUT ASIDE. COOK ONION AND PEPPER IN 1/4 CUP OF BACON DRIPPINGS TILL TENDER SET ASIDE.BROWN SAUSAGE OR BEEF, DRAIN. DRAIN BEANS & PEAS. IN A BIG BOWL MIX MAPLE SYRUP, BROWN SUGAR,KETCHUP, MUSTARD, VINEGAR, & SALT TILL WELL INCORPORATED. ADD BEANS, MEAT, ONIONS, PEPPERS, AND CRUMBLED BACON. MIX WELL AND PUT INTO A LARGEPAN(it will fill up a lasagne pan) BAKE UNCOVERED AT 350 FOR 1 HOUR. Don't drain the Bush's Baked Beans. All others get drained). Enjoy Bryan (Edit we leave out the green pepper and use bob evan's breakfast sausage, white wrapper)
Just what is the size of the vessel you're using???

Back