Dale's Apple Pie Shots

Dale Perry

TVWBB Guru
I love this stuff. Been making this for years.

Apple Pie

3 Qts pure apple juice, I use Motts.
1 Tbl spoon apple pie spice
2 cups honey
5 cinnamon sticks
1 Qt of shine or 190 Everclear

Keep in fridge for 6 weeks, swirling every 3 or 4 days. Do not drink for 6 weeks. It taste just like apple pie with not a hint of burn. drink a glass and you will be happy!
I have cut this recipe in 1/2 with the same results.

Dale, our last comp of the year will be the last weekend of October. I'm thinkin' that, as cool as it may be by then, this will be a required feature of that comp. A sip for me, and liberal dousing of the rest of the competitors!
icon_biggrin.gif

Well now I'm in a bind...I don't make my own shine and lo and behold it is illegal to sell 190 proof Everclear in the State of Michigan...any suggestions for a substitute?

190 is illegal huh Bruce. So is shine here.
icon_razz.gif
As for a substitute maybe a stong vodka.

Keri, this drink goes down like apple cider with a smile. If you like apple pie, you will really enjoy this.

David, keep it in the fridge. It will last there but I usually share with friends. hee hee hee. I serve it cold in shot glasses just like any other shot.

Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Well now I'm in a bind...I don't make my own shine and lo and behold it is illegal to sell 190 proof Everclear in the State of Michigan...any suggestions for a substitute?
No shine here in Pa either. I can drive (45 min) into MD and get it. If you go to Ohio Bruce, you can get it there. In the meantime just Use a good 100 proof Vodka and double the amount. Should get you very close.
icon_wink.gif

Okay, I got it in the refrigerator doing its thang. Is the sediment I see normal or what? If so, is it going to be absorbed and disappear, or am I going to have to strain the end product? It smells awesome. I am swirling it every few days.

So moonshine is legal here in MD, eh? Hmmmm... Bryan any specific place you can get it or is it pretty common? Of all the times I've been to the liquor store I don't think I've ever noticed a bottle.

How did this turn out to everyone who tried it?

Legal shine huh. That has to be like store bought tomatoes.
icon_smile.gif

I would like to hear if anyone tried this. I love the stuff, but I like seeing others drink it more.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
1 Tbl spoon apple pie spice
Dale, I want to make this soon. While at the grocery store yesterday, I figured I look and see what the pie spice costs. McCormick was almost $5 for a little jar of the stuff.
icon_eek.gif
Don't have a Penzey's order anytime soon so guess I'l just have to suck it up and get the McCormick. Or can you read the ingredients off your spice for me. Found tons of recipes to make your own, but they are so varried and some cotain sugar.
Also what lenght cin sticks do you use? I have several diff lenghts here, is why I ask. Thanks
EDIT: This sounds interresting. Apple Pie In A bottle Recipe.

Ok Bryan, I just measured the sticks and they are 2 1/2" - 3" long and the apple pie spice I have is Durkee. It says
cinnamon- sugar- allspice- ginger- nutmeg- oil of cinnamon.

this is a recipe that I got from a friend who claims it came from an Amish family. I dont know about that, but it is mild on the throat and makes people smile.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Ok Bryan, I just measured the sticks and they are 2 1/2" - 3" long and the apple pie spice I have is Durkee. It says
cinnamon- sugar- allspice- ginger- nutmeg- oil of cinnamon.

this is a recipe that I got from a friend who claims it came from an Amish family. I dont know about that, but it is mild on the throat and makes people smile.
Thanks much Bud. There's som many varriations of the apple pie spice recipe out there. I have several copied, I'll come up with something. Did you check out that recipe for Apple pie in a bottle, sounds like it might be good too. What's not to like about butterscotch?

I've made this recipe using bourbon and spiced rum. Both delicious. Not an everclear fan myself. I kinda like the enamel on my teeth.
icon_biggrin.gif

What in the world did you guys make this in? I don't have anything close to being able to hold 128 ounces...

EDIT: Yeah, I think a half batch is the way to go for me!

Back