Mike Mills Magic Dust & Apple City BBQ sauce

SMeadows

TVWBB Member
Smoked ribs today and used Mike Mills' magic dust rub and apple city bbq sauce from his book Peace, Love, and BBQ. Anyone used this recipe before? It turned out pretty spicy, which surprised me.

I'd agree, especially if you're gonna sprinkle more on when the ribs are sweating.
icon_biggrin.gif

J, sarcasm from Me? Nahh
icon_wink.gif

Hey, regarding that thread, why didn't you ever post back? I was really curious if you knew anything about all Soo's spritzing.

Back to topic though, Mills sauce is a little bit of trouble, but I feel where it really shines is on pulled pork. The magic dust is a pretty good pork rub as well.

Hey, regarding that thread, why didn't you ever post back? I was really curious if you knew anything about all Soo's spritzing.

no idea, I pride myself in not letting a good bbq thread die by my hands
icon_biggrin.gif

my reply is there now

one of the reason mike gives for releasing the recipe for magic dust is that he feels your flavor profile is going to be different than his based on where you source your spices and if you grind them fresh.

Having said that, I've made the recipe a number of times and it's never been spicy and I've found the recipe makes delicious ribs but...probably the closest I've gotten to strong competition quality ribs.

Jeff, when I made my Mill's magic dust, the only thing I ground fresh was the black pepper. However, I did make my own chili powder once per Gary Wiviott's instructions for one of his rib rubs (from "Low and Slow"). It was even spicier, so IMHO, both M. Mill's magic dust AND Wiviott's rub are spicier than what most folks are used to when it comes to bbq ribs.

Having said that, I've made the recipe a number of times and it's never been spicy and I've found the recipe makes delicious ribs but...probably the closest I've gotten to strong competition quality ribs.

I recently purchased 4 commercial rubs that I know are commonly used in comps. The common theme was that all were fairly one dimensional and all had a surprising amount of chile heat. I no longer believe: no heat = comp success.

take it for what its worth (two cents)

I agree JB. My opinion is spicy BBQ is delicious anyhow.
Back to myths. Sweet Comp BBq is what everyone turns in. Total myth. How do I know this? My scores are decent and we do not turn in candy Q. In fact, one comp about 2 years ago we were asked by a rep to tone our heat down. HA! Sissie Judges! lol

I agree JB. My opinion is spicy BBQ is delicious anyhow.
Back to myths. Sweet Comp BBq is what everyone turns in. Total myth. How do I know this? My scores are decent and we do not turn in candy Q. In fact, one comp about 2 years ago we were asked by a rep to tone our heat down. HA! Sissie Judges! lol

I guess since we're on a tangent...our first ever rib turn in was pretty spicy. The scores for taste were 5's and 8's. I chalked it up to heat, but now I'm thinking they just tasted bad
icon_biggrin.gif

Back