Alabama > Tuscaloosa: Dreamland BBQ

It seems like about once a year I go back to Dreamland to give them another shot, and each time I leave dissappointed. I went to school at Alabama and have been to the original over on Jug Factory road, I've just never been impressed with their ribs...maybe it's just me.

I do like the sauce though...

Mark - I went to law school in Tuscaloosa and used to eat at Dreamland when Big John Bishop was the pitmaster. The ribs were, I thought then, fantastic, but then again I've learned a lot about bbq and ribs since then. In the recent years when I've gone back there, I've been disappointed too. The ribs are grilled hot and fast, not slow smoked and the quality is inconsistent. That being said, it is a unique experience to go to Jerusalem Heights to the original location.

I don't find their ribs that good either. I usually just eat about 10 pieces of bread and dip it in bbq sauce.

My wife, an alumna of the University of Alabama, introduced this Connecticut Yankee to Dreamland during a visit to Tuscaloosa in 1999. I hope the ribs haven't changed since then -- as I recall, they were sublime.

The menu, however, has obviously changed. Back when I stopped in (admittedly, during the last millenium), the only solid food they offered was ribs and white bread. In fact, I distinctly recall a sign on the wall that said something like:

"No Beans
No Potato Salad
No Coleslaw --
Don't Even Ask!"

Boy, that really was an interesting place. I seem to remember that it is located sort of off the beaten path, in a a fairly industrial section of town. But, as I mentioned, the ribs were delicious. I'm glad I went; if I ever find myself back in Tuscaloosa, I will certainly go again.

Lunch @ Dreamland, in Tuscaloosa Alabama.
Menu is ribs,beans,slaw,tater salad & banana pudding.

7114f15b.jpg

c314d722.jpg

Ribs @ dreamland

I ate at the one in Birmingham and liked it. Didn't know what to expect - two separate friends from Alabama sent me there. I enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and, of course, the "appetizer" of bread and sauce. Got a t-shirt too. Didn't try the ribs, but I make the best ribs anywhere so they couldn't be any better than mine... :)

I've eaten at the Dreamland in Huntsville once. I'll never go back. What a HUGE disappointment. SO many bettr places to get ribs around here.

I ate at the one in Birmingham and liked it. Didn't know what to expect - two separate friends from Alabama sent me there. I enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and, of course, the "appetizer" of bread and sauce. Got a t-shirt too. Didn't try the ribs, but I make the best ribs anywhere so they couldn't be any better than mine... :)

This whole statement is why I refuse to go back. Back when I was at UofA they hadn't franchised yet and it was still good. The parking lot wasn't paved yet, you could only order ribs, and the only side was white bread.

Don't eat at the Birmingham location. My last 2 visits were awful. The Q is VERY salty. They must want people to drink more...

Back