Easter Leg of Lamb

Brian A.

Got a beautiful 8.5lb boneless leg of lamb that I want to smoke for everyone on Easter Sunday.

I have a 21.5 WSM and was planning on using apple wood.

Planning on marinating overnight in a paste made with rosemary, lemon, garlic,S&P and olive oil.

The problem is that I have no idea how long to expect this thing to cook. All the recipes I see are for like 4 pounders.

Planning on cooking to about 140 degrees and will level off the WSM at about 275 degrees.

Any directions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

i love doing those on the rotiss. but time is not the issue but when it reaches that temp.
some cook faster/slower than others. if i remember mine cooked to that temp at about 1.5 hours or so.

I'd suggest going light on the smoke wood especially for a bunch of people. I love strong smoke flavor and love lamb but I don't like heavy smoke on my lamb. Lamb is too flavorful and doesn't need it. Can't have enough garlic though.

Here's what I did. I took the meat off at 125 which is rare but that is the way we like it. I let it set for about 30 minutes before carving. I used apple wood for the smoke and probably could have done on more small piece. Hope this helps

Lamb Roast - 5lbs
4:00pm 210 50,50,50 meat 46
4:15pm 221 33,0,0 meat 48
5:00pm 243 000 meat 77
5:15pm 234 000 meat 97
5:30pm 235 000 meat 108
5:45pm 230 000 meat 118
6:00pm done
reversed seared in oven .. excellent med rare. Less smoke than I expected but it was still great. Leftovers disappeared in days.. Excellent sandwiches!

Frank - thanks so much for those numbers they at least give me some expectations. I would hate to cook this thing and not have it ready for dinner at 2pm.

I am looking at about 5-6 hours at 250 degrees.

I am going for an internal temp of about 135 or so since we will have guests who demand pieces of various doneness.

I love mine rare, but there is nothing worse than serving wonderful tasting meat and your grandmother asks if it is too pink or is it cooked!

You can get flavor into the lamb by making thin, deep slits and packing the marinade in.

I like to poke the leg of lamb with a paring knive and insert a sprig of rosemary, sliver of garlic or half a kalmata olive. randomly put them about an inch or so apart all over the outside. Makes for a pretty presentation and ups the wow factor on the plate.

Back