Cast Iron Pizza in 45 seconds

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Cast Iron Pizza

Ingredients:
Small flour tortillas
thin sliced cured pork:
capocollo,calabrese,salame, pepperoni, proscuito etc.
romano or parmesean grated fine
provolone sliced thin

Tools:
Two cast iron skillets that will nest together
The bottom one should be just large enough to hold the tortilla. The top skillet should nest just inside the bottom one to form a cast iron oven.

Medium Heat on your stove.

Take one tortilla and sprinkle with small slivers of meat. Sprinkle a couple of pinches of romano cheese. Finish with half a slice of provolone cheese torn in small pieces and scattered about.

Cooking:

Pre-heat the two skillets nested together on medium heat. The top skillet should be hot. (This should be a thorough preheat but not the one hour plus recommended for pizza oven preheats)

Assemble your pizza as prescribed above. Less toppings is more. Think petite!

Remove top skillet and very quickly place pizza in the bottom skillet and immediately replacing the top skillet. Do not leave. In 45 seconds you will have real hot crisp pizza!

Notes: my first one I did in 30 sec. it needed more cooking. The others I did in 45 sec. one of which was almost overcooked. Do not go 50 sec. or it may burn. Your stove of course may vary.
I tried higher temps...the medium setting gives it enough time to melt the cheese on my stove.

Have fun!

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Bryan, great video. That's the real deal!
Steve, There are some really good ones on there, I just linked to that one quick. I'm looking for one in particular and if I find it I'll post the link for you. I'm a pizza head also, so don't mind me.
icon_biggrin.gif

One of these days I'm going to build a brick oven in my backyard. Of course I've been saying that for 3 years.
icon_rolleyes.gif
IMO, one of the best ways to cook excellent bread and pizza.

Forgive me for posting a reply to a 2 1/2 year old post, but here's question. What would happen if I put some fire bricks on my Weber Genesis gasser and cranked it right up for an our or so. Would it make a passable pizza oven??? Is there such a thing as narrower half bricks? I know we have a pizza stone, would that work?

Just wondering...

Cooking pizza on a grill is just like cooking bbq. You have to learn how to handle the heat with your setup. I have used a grill to cook pizza but it has been a while. Do some searches to see others comments or perhaps someone will see this and speak up.

Michael, I do that when the weather is better. My gasser can go over 500 if I let it. I put down unglazed quarry tiles and put the pizza on top of the tiles. Be aware it'll cook real quick at those temps so monitor the pizza closely

Originally posted by Michael G.:
Forgive me for posting a reply to a 2 1/2 year old post, but here's question. What would happen if I put some fire bricks on my Weber Genesis gasser and cranked it right up for an our or so. Would it make a passable pizza oven??? Is there such a thing as narrower half bricks? I know we have a pizza stone, would that work?

Just wondering...
My .02 here. More important when making pizza at home, be it in your oven, WSM, Kettle or Gasser is to get the bottom heat and top heat right so the pie cooks top and bottom at the same time. The type of pizza you are making either a hand tossed (thin crust) or pan pizza (thick crust) requires a different cooking process. For thin crust pie you want it hot on both sides so they cook together. When you make a thick crust pie, pan pizza, then you want a lower heat because it takes longer to cook than a thin crust. Also you want more bottom heat than top heat for the pan pizza, so the top doesn't burn before the crust gets done. This is easy in an oven by moving the racks, but on a grill you need to play around and find the right combo, bricks to raise up your stone or screen. The key to cooking a great pizza on a grill is to get good reflective heat from the lid onto the top of the pie. If you don't get that, the bottom will burn long before the top gets done. Same will happen in the oven, so you need to play with pizza placement to get even cooking and remember you want less top cooking when doing a pan pizza. HTH

Back