foil instead of water

Robert Smith

i just got my wsm and guru digiQ 2.. i have read that some do away with the water when using the guru.. why? and how does the foil balled up in the pan help in place of the water.. any respones would be appreciated. thanks

No need for water with the guru.

The idea of the foil balls is to create an air gap between the upper layer of foil and the pan to act as an insulator and to keep your drippings from frying against the bottom of the pan.

The water in the pan is to help buffer the heat. With a guru or stoker this isn't necessecary. You actually could use water in the pan you will just use more fuel filling it with water.

Foil balls aren't necessecary either. Foiling the pan just makes cleanup simple.

Yep as mentioned no water needed for the Guru. Think of the Guru as the water in the pan, it's your heat sink. Also I don't do the foil ball thing. I just lay a sheet ao Reynolds Wrap HD Wide Foil over the water pan about a inch or so off the bottom and that works just dandy.
icon_wink.gif

Foil balls are great for scraping the grill clean after the cook. So I get double use out of them. First to space the foil off the bottom of the pan, then to to clean the grill after.

Back