Rib Glaze

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
What is everyone doing as far a glazing ribs? I prefer dry but the family pefers sauce. Sweet Baby Rays seems to be the favorite, but it tends to leve the ribs a litte dark/burnt on the surface. I'm looking for something less likely to burn. Has anyone tried the Danny Gauldens rib glaze and what are your thoughts on it? All recommendations welcome. Thanks....Chris

Chris, This one is different but good. You can switch out different sodas and jams and really get creative with it. My next one will be orange soda (Fanta) orange marmalade and fresh ginger. But as you'll read in that thread I'm not sure the Soy belongs in there. At least for my tastes anyway. Cherry cola glaze.

I like mine dry, guests seem to like Sweet Baby Rays mixed with honey. Sonny's wasn't bad either.

Originally posted by chris comer:
Bryan, that looks like it might just be worth trying. Do you do your ribs this way often?
I used that one twice last year. I took some of the ribs into the guys at work and they loved them, asked for the recipe. Several of those guys have made the Cherry cola glaze for their own rib cooks. It's very easy to do.

When I glaze I just use Pepper Jelly. The heat from the peppers along with the sweetness of the apple jelly balance out nicely.

A glaze--to me--is not a sauce that is thickly applied and cooked on to 'glaze' the ribs, it's an already-thickened, often fairly translucent mixture that when applied (thinly, with a pastry brush), tightens and sets rather quickly--in just a few minutes--so that one need only apply at the very end. Not enough time for possible burning as little time is needed. One coat, maybe two, is enough to offer shine and a flavor layer, but not so much that the surface of the meat is obscured nor the texture of the bark unfelt by the tongue. This thread offers suggestions on flavor combos (by no means exhaustive; the list goes on) and techniques for making your own from various types of items. The approach is fairly standard (like the one used in Bryan's link), but I include ideas for working with preserves, juices, liquors or liqueurs, chilies, etc. The outline was written with ham in mind but the approach is the same. The difference is that, usually, one builds up a thicker glaze on something like ham (more appications, more frequently, for a longer time), whereas for ribs (imo) the glaze is applied just once or twice near the finish. Of course, if you prefer a thicker glaze you can do what you like.

Sweet Baby Rays seems to be the favorite, but it tends to leve the ribs a litte dark/burnt on the surface.
Try mixing the SBR's with an equal part of honey and lightly coat both sides of your ribs with it at the very end of the cook.

Originally posted by Fred Dorn:
When I glaze I just use Pepper Jelly. The heat from the peppers along with the sweetness of the apple jelly balance out nicely.

I like using pepper jelly too, adds great heat and sweet. Texas Pepper Jellies are great and there is a wide variety to choose from.

What is everyone doing as far a glazing ribs? I prefer dry but the family pefers sauce. Sweet Baby Rays seems to be the favorite, but it tends to leve the ribs a litte dark/burnt on the surface. I'm looking for something less likely to burn. Has anyone tried the Danny Gauldens rib glaze and what are your thoughts on it? All recommendations welcome. Thanks....Chris

Could you make a sauce and serve it on the side. That way you can have them dry while the others can put as much as they want on the ribs.

I've used Danny's glaze many times, and it makes for a beautiful color on ribs and butts both. He himself says that it doesn't add that terribly much to the flavor - his goal is to paint on the glaze immediately to the very hot ribs when they first come out of the cooker, which will be enough heat to set the glaze and develop the color. See HERE.

Hands down for me is Blues Hog sauce. It covers the ribs smoothly and adds little bit of it's own flavor to the rib. Great finishing glaze

Originally posted by K Kruger:
A glaze--to me--is not a sauce that is thickly applied and cooked on to 'glaze' the ribs, it's an already-thickened, often fairly translucent mixture that when applied (thinly, with a pastry brush), tightens and sets rather quickly--in just a few minutes--so that one need only apply at the very end. Not enough time for possible burning as little time is needed. One coat, maybe two, is enough to offer shine and a flavor layer, but not so much that the surface of the meat is obscured nor the texture of the bark unfelt by the tongue. This thread offers suggestions on flavor combos (by no means exhaustive; the list goes on) and techniques for making your own from various types of items. The approach is fairly standard (like the one used in Bryan's link), but I include ideas for working with preserves, juices, liquors or liqueurs, chilies, etc. The outline was written with ham in mind but the approach is the same. The difference is that, usually, one builds up a thicker glaze on something like ham (more appications, more frequently, for a longer time), whereas for ribs (imo) the glaze is applied just once or twice near the finish. Of course, if you prefer a thicker glaze you can do what you like.

you've got a good philosphy... so a glaze in your book for ribs would NOT be say some Masterpiece or BullsEye bbq sauce at all.

When I want a glaze (almost every time I cook ribs) I use Danny's Glaze, the same one that Keri C. mentioned.

Want the recipe?

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or beer)

I mix 'em up and put it in the microwave for a minute (litterally)

so a glaze in your book for ribs would NOT be say some Masterpiece or BullsEye bbq sauce at all.
Correct. That would be 'sauced' ribs.

I'm doing spares tomorrow for a Belmont party (we're horse people). I'll try to post pics. I'll be using a different rub (I rarely repeat rubs twice) and, because of the nature of this rub, I'm thinking of a glaze of lightly honeyed grapefruit and pineapple. Not sure yet. I aply very thinly, as noted; the sugar-to-liquid ratio is the reverse of Gaulden's. (Lots of sweet just KILLS flavors--not at all my thing.)

thanks KK, I look forward to your pictures.

So with a glaze, there's nothing more than glazing, then eating...
at most, some regular bbq sauce at the table.

i can't help but feel like with a 'sauced' rib it removes the work of the rub. i never liked that.

it's like if you lick a glazed rib like a lollipop you'll taste almost just the glaze until you bite into it.

with a sauced rib, if you lick it you're almost already tasting everything, the smoke, the rub etc.

Originally posted by rich langer:
When I want a glaze (almost every time I cook ribs) I use Danny's Glaze, the same one that Keri C. mentioned.

Want the recipe?

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or beer)

I mix 'em up and put it in the microwave for a minute (litterally)

what kind of mustard is everyone using, a dijon or simple french's, guldens?

Yes, pretty much glaze then eat. Any sauce(s) I serve on the side. There is always a vinegar-based one (and sometimes only the one) for dipping, if desired. Other than that one, which is a staple, I rarely make the same sauce twice, but the ones I make (my 'regular' ones) are usually tomato-based with a fruit component, plus aromatics, spice, some heat, and some juices from the rested meat. (I have some posted in Recipes if you're interested.)

Though I don't make that Danny's glaze, I do make some glazes and many sauces that include mustard. I always use Dijon. I don't care for yellow myself--too one-dimensional (yellow seed is single-note). Dijon (or homemade with a mix of ground seed) has a lot more depth and breadth.

These, from last night. I ended up doing a glaze of pineapple-chicken stock-Dijon with a little honey and organic sugar. Started out at 3/4 c or so then reduced it to about 3 T to make it glaze-y. That handled 3 racks of spares, glazing the meaty side only.

Back